1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg svt: value/cost. What is best?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mitch_bassman, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Mitch_bassman

Mitch_bassman

Hey, I've been a player for a fair while now and am looking at upgrading to a svt. I'm thinking of going straight to a CL or a 4PRO or even a BH but not sure. Opinions are appreciated.

Cheers.

2. bray101

bray101 Supporting Member

What are you upgrading from? What are you looking for? Do you have a budget? What size rooms are you normally playing in?

All will play a factor. I've had the SVT-CL (two different times), 3-Pro, 4-Pro, and have played the V4 numerous times.

CL is obviously going to be the standard to compare by most ears, but I rather liked the 4-Pro for the rack mount convenience. Also, during my latest go around with the CL, I wasn't playing rooms big enough where I could really push a 300-watt all-tube monster.

My favorite SVT, although I've never owned one, is the V4. Lower watts, but still all-tube so you can actually push it in a medium sized club and still have plenty of volume. Played them numerous and always loved them. No funds at the moment, plus I'm super happy with my GK Fusion 550 to go back to Ampeg for the time being.

Hope this helps.

3. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I think the best VALUE is an SVT 2 Pro. It's 300W, all tube, just like an SVT. But, it adds 9 (?) channel graphic EQ, and a Drive knob (plus has a Gain/Master Volume setup). And it's rack mountable. I think it's a great value because I think they are highly underrated and so they tend to sell for cheaper than other Ampeg 300W tube amps. The switchable EQ and the Drive knob are what makes it (to ME) better than a regular CL.

Next up in Value (to me), is a regular SVT CL. You can find them all day on GC Used for around $800.

A good V4 or V4B will cost you almost as much. And since it's so much lower powered, I don't rate it as high in the "value" calculation. Plus, I had a mint V4 that sounded great, but I thought my Traynor YBA-3 sounded better, so I sold it.

Just my $0.02.

4. Alex1984

Alex1984

SVT 2 non-pro if you can find one, then the CL. The VR is desirable, but not a must, and if value is a key factor, I'd say the CL.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have had an SVT CL, SVT 4 PRO and SVT 6 PRO. The 4 Pro was the worst. It seemed under powered and lacked clarity. I prefer the 6 PRO. Two preamp tubes, 4 driver tubes, SS power amp that delivers 750 watts at 8 ohms and 1,100 watts at 4 ohms and less than half the weight of an SVT CL. The 6 Pro is the best of both worlds in my opinion. It is discontinued but there are still some good used ones available.

7. Alex1984

Alex1984

Is 6 Pro the one with the Sheehan pre? Anyway, just wanted to say the V4 is also good value too. 300W can be overkill a lot of times.

8. inthyme

inthyme

I have a mint condition SVT-VR i'm looking to sell. it's on Ebay.

new to this forum, so i'm not sure where I can post the info to sell it

9. Alex1984

Alex1984

You have to be a supporting member first.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    All SVT's are awesome. Period.

11. Blankandson

Blankandson

Owning and using SVT's are sorta like owning and using a 45' Newell with four slides. Is it expensive? Yep. Is it huge and heavy? Yep. Do you feel like the king of the world when you have one? Yep. No more questions.

12. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Ampeg made a Billy Sheehan model called the SVP-BSP. It was a one tube pre-amp so I don't think it was the same. I have a friend whose family has owned a music store for more than 70 years. He plays bass and when I told him that I had 2 US built SVT 6 Pro heads he said "That's the one you want. One of the best heads ever made, I don't know why Ampeg discontinued it". I have been very happy with them.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    The 6 Pro got lost in the shuffle when LOUD bought SLM, unfortunately.

14. jwitzend

jwitzend Supporting Member

How does the 6 compare to the 7?

15. David Hayes

David Hayes Guest

Vintage
    2 Non Pro
    VR
    CL
    2 Pro

I would rank them thusly