Ampeg SVT-VR Rewiring from UK to US voltage?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JohnnySee, Mar 27, 2014.

1. JohnnySee

JohnnySee

Hey guys!

This is my first post on this forum, I thought I'd make the switch from Basschat as I'm moving to the NC area from England in a month or two!

I was hoping somebody could help me with a question I have about the SVT-VR. I was planning on selling mine before my move but a friend mentioned that it might be quite easy to have it rewired to US voltage. If that's the case then I'd like to keep it, as I would lose a lot of money by selling and probably wouldn't be able to afford a new one for quite some time.

Does anyone have experience of this? Is it possible?

Thanks in advance,

Johnny
  2. Forrrest

Forrrest

interested to know as well,

IIRC Ampeg is cheaper in the US, and you could easily replace it. you could sell it for 900GBP and then buy a used one here for under 1500US$... & that's without much legwork. I'd be more concerned taking one in your direction where Ampeg are scarcer.
  3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

An Ampeg amp in Milton Keynes. Isn't that against the law? :p

If you need additional help, Loud has a document showing how to do the conversion (Tech Note: 120 to 230 conversion). You can contact them and ask for a copy. You would also have to change your power cord and fuses. And as Hodgy pointed out below, the fan.
  5. JohnnySee

JohnnySee

Thanks for the response guys, I think I know what I'm gonna do now anyway. Haha beans-on-toast there's alot of love for Ampeg over here in the UK ;)

I will be selling my VR here and try to pick up either a portaflex rig or the V4-B & an SVT-210AV, not quite sure which yet but after the VR I don't think I could settle for no tubes!
  6. hodgy

hodgy

Disclosures:
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    You'll have to swap out your fan also.