1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg svt1540 broken speaker

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 5656130, Nov 18, 2012.

1. 5656130

I finally broke the 15' speaker in my 1540 and now I need a good replacement, all I know so far is the the 15' is rated at 4 ohms and that's about it.
  2. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I think if you used an 8 ohm 15" you would correct an original design flaw in the cabinet, that would mean that if you used the parallel inputs
    to run both drivers full range the 15" would get 1/2 the power the 4x10
    Half got, if they are the original speakers that would balance better and
    give you a good go at blowing one of the ten inch drivers next time instead.
    Also the impedance would be less of a handful for most amps whatever it is unless of course you want to run it bi amp but we don't know this
    closely guarded information do we.
    Top Secret and all that, Eh!:bag:
  3. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

IIRC, the 15 on those is supposed to be 8 ohm, not 4 ohm - which makes sense, since it's a 4 ohm cab when running it with all 5 speakers...

- georgestrings
  4. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    I remember reading the back panel on one once IIRC it said that the cab was 2 x 4 ohms bI amp therefore obviously only 2 ohms in the parallel side. The reason I looked at it was the owner had just blown up his
    4 ohm min amp using it on a gig.:bassist:
  5. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

Isn't the cab 4 ohms total?
    And aren't the 10's the same 32 ohm units as other 8x10's? I "think" both halves are 8 ohms.
    That said? Best replacement? 4 32 ohm Emminence Legend b810's witha baffle replacement.
  6. 5656130

I took out the speaker and the label says 4
  7. 5656130

Thanks man, I'm not bi amping the cab I don't want to lug more than I have to around haha I had to lug the cab up a flight of stairs last night.
  8. 5656130

Any good ideas for a replacement speaker?
  9. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Eminence 3015LF.
  10. 5656130

Does anyone know the wattage of the original speaker?
  11. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Yeah, I just looked at the owner's manual, and it was indeed a 4 ohm speaker from the factory - the top and bottom were designed to operate as 2 separate 4 ohm loads, or 1 "full range" 8 ohm load... No offense, but that's probably the worst cab Ampeg ever put out - the 15s crapped out on a regular basis, and the design itself was just plain terrible... If it were me, I would get whatever I could out of it, and move on to a better cab...

- georgestrings
  12. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Yes B-string he won't blow it again then will he if he runs parallel.
    The original speaker was 200 watts rms I think.
    [​IMG]
    Look what I found:hyper:
    They originally run the top half in series with the bottom, the wierdo crack heads, so if the fifteen blows the whole cab except the tweeter goes dead.
  13. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

Crazy thought, but maybe cut the thing in half and have a 4 ohm sealed 4x10... seems a lot of players looking for just that.
  14. anderbass

anderbass

I'm no big expert on speaker swaps, but I'm very happy with the 4-ohm/Eminence Basslite 2515 I swapped into my Ampeg cab. This driver is spec-ed for a wide rage of internal box dimensions, plus the fact that its made for use in sealed or ported cabs seems to make it very forgiving as far as using it with various port sizes/types.

You'll find more info about my speaker swap at this link: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/h...-15-speaker-my-svt-18e-cab-am-i-crazy-914468/

[​IMG]
  15. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

While this is a great driver, it would need some cross over work to pair with other speakers. For that matter the four 10" drivers wouldnt really be a great choice for the HF drivers.