1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg SVT15e Cab - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Fatso, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Fatso

Fatso

I'm thinking of sourcing an SVT15e for smaller gigs (or maybe stack 2 for bigger gigs). Im using and SVT3 pro and play mostly old school soul, blues and some country - P bass with flats and a UB. So, does anyone out there love/hate these cabs?

Also, I've read thet the 72lbs stated on the Ampeg website isn't right, they're actally lighter...?

2. vin*tone

vin*tone

Love. Every time I hear one I think "that's the tone right there".

3. DerekP

DerekP

+1 I liked mine a lot, sold it like a fool though.

4. Sartori

Sartori

I like mine quite a bit. It's surprisingly loud for a single 15". Must be the way it's voiced.

I've done a ton of gigs with it, hasn't given me any issues thus far. The tone is really quite to my liking. Sounds pretty decent with guitar, too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fatso

Fatso

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to hearing one.

Would you say the weight is a true 72 pounds?

7. Sartori

Sartori

I've never weighed it. It's somewhat heavy. Would be easier if I had wheels for it, maybe.

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

I've never weighed mine, but it would surprise me if it actually weighs 72 lbs. I don't believe it weighs that much.

9. carl h.

carl h.

It's a great cab that can move a lot of air if you ask it to, but has tone even at lower volume levels. I generally play quieter gigs with it, but I cleared a wall once by turning it up at a gig after hours.

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Really? Mine seems pretty light. Mine is made of real wood, not that stuff they used to make them with.

11. bass dan

bass dan Supporting Member

I have 2 of them. I would say they are managable. Your not going to one hand them around. I carry mine up and down the stairs of my house without straining. I do have casters for one of them so I can stack them and wheel them around that way.

I had a Mesa 4x10, I traded it for these. I could'nt handle the Mesa by myself without strain, and it was a pain in the ass to get in my buick. The Ampegs are easy to deal with compared to the Mesa. Not sure they are lighter than the 72 pounds but the Mesa was like 95 and it is much easier to deal with 2 of these than the one Mesa.

I really like the sound of the cabs and can get louder than I ever want to play. The Mesa sounded deeper but got boomy at loud volumes. The Ampegs dont seem to do that.

12. Sartori

Sartori

Mine might be from the OSB era.

I mean, it's heavy compared to a neo cab, but it's not unmanageable. I don't enjoy moving it, but it's way easier than a 4x10. It's more awkward than it is heavy.

Certainly it's easier to move than my 2x15. Though I wish it had wheels so I wouldn't have to carry it the whole way. Some do come with wheels, though, I think.

13. Lync

Lync

+1 to all of this. On paper the SVT15e doesn't look so hot, but the cab does sound really nice. I am always thinking about adding a second one for a 2x15 stack but haven't had the need.

14. Sartori

Sartori

You could justify it in that a second one would be closer to your ear level. Or just in case you need it.

It's weird how good mine sounds, as you're right, on paper it's not that impressive. In practice, though, it's a great cab.

15. OneWayPunk

OneWayPunk

Love mine, wouldn't trade it for the world. I have had it for around 10 years now.

It's my goto cab for smaller gigs, it just always sounds good, no matter what head you play it with.

I'm actually looking for a second one for a good price right now.

16. Fatso

Fatso

I got one delivered last week. Very portable (just over 42lb BTW). I played around with it for about half an hour before sound check, ended up setting the eq on my pro 3 flat. It's really got that 15 punch and sits great in a stage mix. Sounds really good with the UB too, fat but not woofy.

It's a little sluggish compared to other cabs I've been using but I got used to it pretty quick. Forces me to not mince notes. If each note is played with conviction the cab will deliver.

I'm going to look for a second one.