Ampeg SVT210AV - grill removal

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Slowgypsy, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

I know this has been discussed before... just couldn't find the thread with the info.

How do I safely remove the grill on this cab? There's the 2 black tabs on the bottom... just pull really hard until it releases? Or is there a better way to get the grill off? What's holding the grill on anyway... snap tab or velcro?

Thanks....

2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Just pull on them. They're tight... I know some people have used screw drivers to pry up while pulling out - luckily mine don't seem tight enough to do that. Maybe use pliers if it's hard to grip while pulling.

3. Slowgypsy

Well, okay... I'll tug a little harder on it. Usually when I have to tug that hard on something, I back off 'cause I'm sure there's supposed to be another way to do this and I'm about to break something. But I'll tug harder, if that's what the consensus here suggests. :confused:

4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Pull harder.

On some cabs, you may have to remove the corner hardware so the corners of the grill frame will clear it and come out all the way. Some I've seen used snaps, the vast majority use velcro. It pulls off either way, assuming the cab doesn't have a removable back.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The velcro tabs on the Micro VR are a pain, but I remember the days when grills would just fall off in the middle of a gig, and this is a much better alternative. I take a fairly hefty screwdriver and stick it in the tab and leverage it against the lip of the cab till it pops off. NOTE: Lay a thick towel across the lip so you don't dent the wood.

7. Slackerprince

Slackerprince

Just curious- why do you want the grills off?

S

8. Slowgypsy

Thank you Jimmy... exactly the advice I was looking for. :bassist:

9. Slowgypsy

Just bought this complete Ampeg Micro stack used. Sure, I've fired it up, actually gigged it this past weekend, everything checks out as it should. But... I've learned to do a visual on everything I can with used stuff. I simply want to check out the speakers. Seeing that they're 100% somehow makes me feel better about bringing it to a gig with no other backup.

10. floridagatorfan

floridagatorfan

you can also back one of the screw out of the ampeg logo on the grill cover just enough to get a pair of pliers on it, put a towel on the screw first so you dont scratch it, the put the pliers on and give a good pull, i learned this from a video if Dino from ampeg on youtube.

11. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Go to an auto parts store and get a plastic trim tool. They are wide enough to not damage and better leverage than a screwdriver. :)

12. Old Fart

Old Fart

You're getting some good advice here. It took me a while to get the grill off my BA-115 HPT. Take the logo off, since the screws may go far enough to be into the cabinet. Then yeah, put a screw most of the way in and use pliers to pull. And yes, you can do some prying, but just be careful not to dent the cabinet wood. It will come off.

I removed mine because there was some buzzing. Tightened all the screws and the buzzing stopped. Windows still buzz, but the amp does not.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I tried that with the Micro VR, and found it rather impossible. Maybe the use shorter screws on the smaller logos or something.

14. Mokebass

Mokebass

Good Luck. Big supporter of taking the grill off (as long as you can remove and replace quickly). Not only looks better but sounds clearer.

15. Slowgypsy

No way! :scowl:

16. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Another trick is to take a small size allen wrench, preferably with a long shaft, stick it the gap between grillcloth and cab, rotate it so it hooks the back side of the frame and pull with a pliers.

17. Mokebass

Mokebass

@slowgypsy you trying to say it doesn't matter if i got the grill on or off?

18. jobu3

jobu3 Supporting Member

Yup. Very noticeable difference. I have two of them and the one cab rattles at higher volumes with the grill in place.

19. Slowgypsy

Okay...

Grill off... sounds just like GK. Grill on... Ah, there's that Ampeg sound! :p:D:p

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
  21. Slowgypsy

Okay, I made a bad joke about the GK/Ampeg thing. But seriously... other than a rattling (bad attachment which should be fixed) I'm finding it hard to believe (impossible actually) that anyone could hear a sonic difference between a SVT210AV cab with the grill on or the grill off. Of course, if one likes the visual of a grill off, that's another matter....