1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg SVT4Pro Mono Bridged Speakon

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Hillsidebass, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Hillsidebass

Hillsidebass Supporting Member

There are conflicting posts on how the Speakon should be wired at the amp connection. Should it be 1- and 1+ or 1+ and 2+? The owners manual says 1- and 1+ which would be a standard Speakon cable.
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

IIRC the 4 Pro has a dedicated speakon for bridged use only. A standard 1+,1- speakon should be used.
  3. Hillsidebass

That's what the manual says but several post say 1+ and 2+. I'll try a standard Speakon. Don't know why so many have it wrong.
  4. B-string

Many amps have the speakon wired with channel one to 1+,1- and channel two wired to 2+,2-. For those amps bridged operation requires the cable to be wired 1+,2+ for bridged operation (special bridged cable on the amp end ONLY). The 4 Pro uses a speakon dedicated to bridged operation only so standard cables can be used. :)
  5. Hillsidebass

6. hodgy

hodgy

Disclosures:
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    To avoid confusion, do what is silkscreened on the back of the amp. In October of 2012 we (well, not me personally, but I made the suggestion) changed the circuit to accommodate a 'normally' wired +1/-1 Speakon. All 4Pros built prior to October of 2012 use the +1/+2 wiring at the Speakon jack for bridge-mono mode.
  7. sutarappa

sutarappa Supporting Member

good to know, thanks.
  8. Hillsidebass

Mine is a Vietnam built head. Bought it new in 2007. I just tried a standard 1- and 1+ Speakon cable and it worked perfectly. It wouldn't work at all if the Speakon connection was wrong....would it? There is nothing but an * silkscreened on the mono-bridged connection on the amp.
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Probably ran on the one channel per normal.
  10. B-string

It would still work but be no louder as you would only get power from one output amp, not the combined two.
  11. Hillsidebass

Ok, I'll try the 1- 1+.
  12. B-string

You said you already tried that? That is standard wiring. Open the connector and move the wire on the 1- to the 2+ to try a "bridged cable" configuration.
  13. Hillsidebass

Will do...thanks
  14. hodgy

hodgy

Disclosures:
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    What he said. Also, make sure your mono/stereo button is in for mono bridge operation.