1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

AMPEG SVT7PRO

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Thunzie, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Thunzie

Thunzie

Hi folks. Ive just joined an ACDC tribute show and will be playing pubs and medium sized venues. Both guitarists are using vintage Marshalls, and they crank em' up REAL LOUD so I'll be needing an amp that can compete volume-wise. I have 2 main questions about the AMPEG SVT7PRO with an Ampeg SVT410HLF, and maybe a 115 as well.

First question: I'm aware this is a 1000 watt amp but I have no experience with these class D amps, so I really don't know what to expect volume-wise - will this thing keep up with a few Marshalls volume-wise without burning it out?

Second question: I read in one forum about a guy who's AMPEG SVT7PRO burnt out after just a few gigs. Was he just unlucky / are these class D amps dependable?
  2. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

The 7 Pro can only go down to four ohms - so adding a cab in addition to the four ohm SVT410HLF will cause the amp to fail.

I have heard that the early models had reliability issues which have been fixed since.

I would bet any decent amp over 300 watts would do the job if you had an 810 cab under it.
  3. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

Class D is dependable, no issues there.

Judging by posts here the SVT7PRO seems to have been less than reliable, and of course there's always someone who knows someone who haven't had any issues with it. ;) All anectotal evidence anyway. AFAIK there's a rev C or D now, draw your own conclusions.

FYI, bass gear mag tested the 7PRO to 763 watts.
  4. arai

arai

First and second question are related. The 7pro is notorious for reliability problems. I would steer clear of any of Ampeg's Micro amps as they all have a overwhelming amount of cutting out issues from this forums users
    And class D amps are reliable as the sun coming up in the morning. Most of the big shows you go to the power amps for the PA are class D
  5. VeganThump

VeganThump Supporting Member

The SVT 7Pro and an 810 would be perfect for what you're doing. Yes, it did have reliability issues at first but they have been corrected. I would definitely go for it, I have one and not a single issue.
  6. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Supporting Member

The 7 Pro is a great head. Sure it may seem a little like "bloated" advertising claiming it 1000w when it runs somewhere between 750-800w, but don't let the numbers worry you too much. You'll get much more volume with more speakers than with increasing the wattage, and with a large cab or two, you will definitely get a punch from the 7 Pro. I'm not the biggest fan of the Ampeg tone, but if I was, (and if you're going for the AC/DC sound, an SVT is where to look) the 7 Pro would be the first one on my list. The reliability problems tend to be exaggerated on forums like this. Most of the issues have been dealt with, and most SVT-7Pro users have been trouble-free.

If you're going for the AC/DC tone and need plenty of volume, I would consider getting an SVT 810e instead of the 410hlf. They have a bit more punch/definition (not to mention double the speaker area=more volume) and are actually easier to transport thanks to the kickback and the back handle.
  7. blastjv

blastjv Supporting Member

Your 410hlf is a very loud and big sounding cab. I bet it would work well for that.
  8. blastjv

blastjv Supporting Member

The 410hlf also has the handle and kickback setup, but is short and ends up being not as easy to move as an 810.
  9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 the 410hlf is a 4 ohm cab, the 7Pro is 4 ohms minimum, so no adding to that set up. Besides, a 15 is a poor mate to a 410hlf. An 8x10 is a much better option, and will certainly compete against the 2 guitards.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Um, total respect to Bass Gear Mag but the 7 Pro has been tested elsewhere and it had no problem hitting 1000w. And your 410hlf will take about 500w, so you shouldn't be getting anywhere near the settings that have made them cut out in the past, and you can't add another cab, as Ricken said, because your 410hlf does 4 ohms and that's the minimum for the 7 Pro.
  11. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

I play an SVT 7 PRO through an Avatar NEO 410 or two GK NEO 212's. It's comparable in volume to my GK 1001 RB II which is rated at 750 watts. It's plenty loud with the gain cranked and the volume half up. I used to play in a 3 guitard band and had no trouble being heard.
  12. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

+1.

These are great amps but had problems early on.

No different than Mesa's issues with the M6/M9... Do your homework and ensure you buy a newer amp with the newer rev levels.

I think the 7Pro would be a perfect AC/DC tribute band head. It won't do 2ohms though, so a 810 might be a consideration but a 410 will be plenty loud.....
  13. bassguppy

bassguppy

I'd get an 810 for that gig. IMO it will cut through better.

But, if you really love the sound of your 410HLF and 7PRO maybe pick up another SVT-410HLF and the power amp of your choice (power is cheap) and slave the amp to the 7PRO. Don't get a 15, the 410HLF is designed for huge lows and a 115 will do near nothing for lows or increased volume.

I've had my 7PRO for over a year and never an issue. It's just stupid loud if I need it.
  14. VeganThump

VeganThump Supporting Member

I'm glad to hear you say that because I've always heard guys talking about the 7pro saying that it only puts out about 750 watts and I knew that was bologna! I seriously doubt that Ampeg would release a product that puts out 25% less watts than they advertise.
  15. arai

arai

If I recall correctly the only way to get the 7pro to get to 1000 watts was to plug into the effects return bypassing the pre amp.
  16. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

I completely agree with MHB. Go with an Ampeg 810e cab and you will thank yourself. It's a 4-ohm cab...a perfect match for the 7Pro, and that rig will kick major booty. The hlf design may sound good on paper, but it doesn't work all that well in a gig situation (too boomy). Plus, the 810e has twice as many speakers, and that is what will give you what you need in your situation.

Also, regarding reliability issues with the 7Pro, as you have read, Ampeg has issued multiple revisions. If you go with the latest (the D revision), you will be totally fine. And don't spend brain time worrying about whether the 7Pro puts out 750 watts or 1000 watts or 821.3 watts. You won't tell a difference with that range of variance.

Btw, I know that there is an obvious benefit to a lighter amp, and the 7Pro is the way to go if you don't want a heavy amp, but if you really want the tone and oomph, you might consider an Ampeg SVT-VR or SVT-II non-pro. Those all-tube amp heads are heavy as heck, but the sound and feel is da bomb!
  17. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

or if you want to be authentic - an MTI era SVT.
  18. rodl2005

rodl2005

Never a prob with my 7PRO ( rev C ) Loud as all get out. Great tone & very versatile.

I didn't gel with the SVT410HLF tho- tuned too low for me & I found it not to handle a lotta power- farted out pretty easy. IME 'n all.
  19. nubs

nubs Supporting Member

throw and 810 under it and you wont have any issues. i use and SVT 7pro with and 8x10 in a LOUD metal cover band. one of my guitarist uses an egnator and the other a mesa and i dont have any issues at all. reliability for me has not been an issue, i have a revision C.
  20. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Yep. Who needs the preamp anyway. Oh wait.......:)

Seriously the difference between 736 and 1000 only looks big by the numbers anyway.