Ampeg SVT808HE Replacement Driver?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DSR24718, Feb 12, 2013.

1. DSR24718

DSR24718

I stumbled across one of these very rare cabs on craigslist, and it is described as having "a blown horn and a couple cracks in the speakers." I e-mailed Ampeg and asked about the 8" drivers, and they said they are discontinued, but did not recommend a good replacement that is currently available. After searching for a couple hours last night, and coming up with limited information, I was hoping someone here knew the original model or part number for the drivers, had experience with a worthy replacement, or if some of the WINisd gurus could simulate the cab, and find one. I am still a long way from being proficient enough with WINisd to work backwards from limited cab information to come up with a reasonable replacement.

What I found about the cab is that it is 8x8, has six ports that look to be about 3.5-4" diameter, and a "FT" thread that listed the dimensions as H - 37", W - 24", D - 19".

I ask because I, like many of us, am on a pretty tight budget, and would need to know the cost of getting this cab gig ready before pulling the trigger.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Nate

2. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

first thing that comes to mind is re cone
    all the speakers.

search for a local shop or possible the net to ship them to
    a well known shop.

otherwise I would have to do a search to find a 8inch that works
    I know there was a couple threads about custom 8inch cabinets
    so im sure there is a list of drivers or driver that is recommended
    in one of those threads.

might have been a beyma or faital driver but it most likely
    is a overpriced neo type.

it is a ported box, so it would have to be a driver suited
    for a ported enclosure.

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Orange County Speaker (well known for repair/recone work) charges $65/speaker plus shipping both ways for Ampeg or celestion 8" speakers, $45 for eminence. My guess is it's going to be one of those three manufacturers.

4. DSR24718

DSR24718

Thanks for the responses! I read in a review that they were Eminence, but nothing official. I will have to go check it out in person, I guess...Thanks again!
    Nate

5. Register to disable this ad