Ampeg SVX vs Tech 21 VT Bass

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by silvertones, Dec 17, 2012.

1. silvertones

silvertones

I'm very happy with the sound of my live rig using SVX but carrying around a laptop is a PIA. I was wondering if the VT bass would at least be as good.I use that warm vintage SVT sound. P Bass with flats.
    Thanks

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

"Ampeg SVX" has the "Ampeg" name on it. They certify it as being authentic.
    Eventually IK may come out with an iOS version of Ampeg SVX, but guitar amps rule this domain at the moment.

That being said, there are many ways to get the Ampeg sound. Many available now on iOS. They all usually are free to try. Try a few. Try the VT bass also as many pedals do this just fine also, try it.

3. silvertones

silvertones

I don't have a smart phone so that option is out. It's either the laptop or VT Bass. No where near me to try one. I was hoping some one had used both and could at least steer me in a direction. If someone said "VT bass is far better" then I'd find a way to try one.
    Thanks for the reply

4. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

I can only speak to one side of the equation as I have not used the Ampeg app, but it stands to reason that the VT would score points on increased convenience alone. That said, I use the VT with a SS head and love it and never turn it off... and you can find ample thumbs up here at TB. It's a shared endorsment of dozens of experienced bassists on a widely-respected community site. I'd think that puts you on pretty firm ground to have faith in the performance of the VT Bass. ;-)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    I have the VT Bass pedal. It works great and nails that SVT sound.

7. capncal

capncal

maybe get an ampeg svt? i use the sansamp tech 21 bass driver for my direct signal and it does a fair job of emulating the svt.

i've read nothing but great reviews on the VT pedal but i've never played it myself.

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

It's not a big deal for me to carry a laptop. The lid doesn't need to be even open. Midi pedals, and controllers do all the control.
    You could do a Mac mini, or small PC in a rack, like Stefan Lessard
    One big benefit is presets, as many as you like. Even down to each song have a set you can toggle through. And you can add a VSTi, like a synth, if you have an opportunity for some songs.
    PC's are already next to FOH boards, and keyboard players already. Why should they have all the fun?

9. silvertones

silvertones

Thanks all for the great answers. VT Bass is convenient.As said though I guess a lappy ain't all that bad either.Maybe buy a VT Bass incase the lappy craps on stage.
    Now don't hold this against me but I also play keys and do use my lappy for all the different synths with a controller.So......
    I guess I'll use the lappy and get a VT for Backup

10. FellowBass

FellowBass Bass Player Extraordinaire. OK, just ordinaire. Supporting Member

I adore my VT Bass. Traded my 8x10 for a Ampeg Micro w/ 2x10 fronted by a VT Bass. Can't say there's a difference when it's in the mix. Tremendous little pedal.

11. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

Just wanted to chime in real quick and say that SVX is just awesome. Amazing tones out of it, this coming from a guy who really doesn't like amp sims.

12. silvertones

silvertones

Just ordered a VT Bass.