Ampeg: two 410's vs. one 810

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by scoopscallahan, Dec 20, 2012.

1. scoopscallahan

scoopscallahan

Logic tells me the sound would be the same running two 410's as running one 810. I like the idea of leaving one 410 at the rehearsal space and one 410 at home and then combining the two for a gig rather than dragging the 810 all over the place.

Any thoughts?

2. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Transport would be easier ... They can be eq'd in

Playing a 210 combo I'm being asked to turn down

3. kander

kander

That depends on the type of 410. For example two Ampeg 410HLF's (ported cab) will sound different than one Ampeg 810 (sealed cab).

4. lyes4string

lyes4string Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist of Warwick Basses
    the best tone i ever had was with 2 ampeg classic 410s one ported one not, now all i use is my pr810. i have a complete rig for practice that i dont move at all thats ampeg bxt series

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I have both the 810 and the 410 stack. Same speakers (depending on the year), but they are all 32 Ohm 10 inch. The speakers in the HLF are 16 Ohm. Anyway, yea take 2 SVT410HE's and stack them on their side for the same dimensions as the 810. The horns in the 410HE gives you an added tweek.

In these winter months, when rain is possible, it is not practical to load my 810 into the truck and roll to a gig. I can load 2 410HEs into the back seats on ech side (this will work with most mid-large cars too) and use my SVT head for a 4 ohm system at the gig. Additionally, you have all the flexability of having the two cabs that you mention.

Win Win

7. eriky4003

eriky4003

Unless you absolutely love the sound of the the sealed 8 x 10, the portability and flexibility of the 4x10s would be the way to go.

8. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

SVT410HE cabs are also sealed.

9. Keithwah

Keithwah Supporting Member

Something's really special about the way an 8x10box sounds, but that said, I use a pair of 4x10 boxes when needed. Using IEM's I actually don't even run my speakers and usually only bring one box with me these days. I haven't had an 8x10 box in many years, mostly due to transporting them. When all my gear lived in a 24ft. truck, way different story.

Nice thing about 4x10 boxes is you can start with one, add another one when needed. And best of all, if you are playing a dink bar,just take one box with you and save some back.

10. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Actually 2 4x10's sound bigger than an 8x10 cab because the over all internal volume of the box is larger.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    To me the 810e and two 410he's sound identical except for the tweeter and the crossover point of the tweeter. I think the crossover point is 4k, which loses an extra 1k coming out of the speakers. If you bypass the crossover, though, they should sound pretty close to identical.

12. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Media:
    I used to run 2 410E's, and then switched over to an 810. My sound was great with the two 410's, but I didn't like having the crossovers with the tweeters. I wish they'd build a 410 that is sealed w/o tweeters like the 810 and the new mini 210's.

I used to be able to fit both 410's, two basses, a 6-space rack, and our giant merch bin in my Nissan Maxima, so that was pretty awesome. Once we got a van/trailer, I went to the 810.

13. thumbknuckle

thumbknuckle

There is no crossover in the path of the 10s in an SVT410HE. If you turn the tweeter off it's the same thing as half an 810.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well whether they do it with a HPF or a crossover, sounds like 4k to me when you turn it off. The tweeter is easily bypassed, though. And really, 4k isn't dark. B-15's do 4k and they sound great. You could leave it.

15. sevdog

sevdog

I would agree that they'll sound essentially identical.

...However, every vehicle that I've ever purchased has been predicated on the ability to fit a full stack inside. Therefore, I've never owned anything but trucks, vans and station wagons.

My .02...Don't change your bass gear to fit your car, change your car to fit your bass gear.

16. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future Gold Supporting Member

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
  18. TimmyP

TimmyP

In the last few years, I've been to or worked only a couple of gigs in which a guy with a 4x10 or larger didn't need to turn down to fix things out front.

19. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future Gold Supporting Member

What do you like , the fact that it doesn't give much low end compared to other stuff on the market or the fact that it's big and heavy ? :smug:

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I don't like all that low end. Just creates mud with the bass drum. The 810e has plenty low end as it is. I could do without the big and heavy, though, so most of the time when I've used my SVT over the past year, I've been using a couple SVT 210av's. But if backline's being supplied, sure, I'll take an 810e ;)

21. prd004

prd004

I am so tempted to get a pair of 210AV's. I wish I could try them out first though