Ampeg V-4B/212 cab vs PF800/PF115&210

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by High Camp, Jan 12, 2014.

1. High Camp

High Camp

Last Saturday I had the chance to check the new Ampeg V-4B with the complementing 212 cab.
    I own a PF800 with a PF115HE and a PF210HE.
    My bassguitar is a Fender Jazz Longhorn USA '92 (with roto roundwounds).
    Now, I love the stack that I own.
    More than loud enough ( I think I could scare elephants away...;)), the sound to me is beautiful.
    However, being very curious about the V-4B + 212 I was happy to check it out, using the same bassguitar.
    Conclusion: It put a smile on my face!
    The sound IME IMHO is even more in your face, direct, sparkly.
    With every different setting (cut or boost the low, the mid etc etc, gain up, gain down etc etc) you getting different tone, but always with the Ampeg sound, and IMHO, always beautiful, raw and warm.
    I can't really judge about volume, because I couldn't play too loud there.
    But in my humble opinion a 200 watt Ampeg tube amp would be the ultimate head for me.
    IN short, I personally think the V-4B /212 cab is a job well done and I want one!:hyper:
    (and hope one day there will be a 200 Watt version...)

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Cool news about those 212av's. Haven't played them yet but might snag one in the NF. I have a V4B, though. It's my workhorse amp these days.

The reason you don't ever see an Ampeg 200w tube amp is because there's no need for one between the 100 and 300. Watts aren't linear, meaning you don't get double the volume out of double the wattage, and the volume difference between 100 and 200w is just perceptible but not all that big to make a real difference. But 300w tends to make a difference.

3. High Camp

High Camp

Okay, makes sence.
    Well then, I'll start saving up for the V-4B/212 stack!
    In hindsight, I wish I was able to A/B all the possible combinations (PF800 with the 212, V-4B with the PF115HE etc).
    That's the thing really, loads of musicstores within 100 km's but none of them with BOTH stacks.
    With what, if I may ask, do you run your V-4B with?

4. Dan55

Dan55 Supporting Member

Thanks for the info on the new 212. I've been thinking of swapping my SVT410HE that I've been running with my V-4B for one. Hmmm...

Dan

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Mostly I use one or two SVT 210av's. Once I ran my 73 810 with it, but the 210av's are only 25 lbs, and though it looks funny with the cabs on top of the head, it sounds pretty great.

7. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

I gotta say, the new V4-B and matching 2x12 is a gorgeous amp. If I were in the market for a brand new rig, this is the first thing I'd wanna check out.