1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg v kustom cabs: help me choose

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Noose, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Noose

Noose

I'm torn. I made a trade deal with a guy for a peavey tour 700 amp head that I wanted. In the trade he threw in an ampeg svt 15 cab.

I currently have a Kustom Groove 410 that I'm reasonably happy with. It gets plenty loud, sounds decent, but it is the heaviest 410 I've ever seen.

I really like the way that ampeg cab sounds, but it's not nearly loud enough. I will probably use it for practice, but for gigs without pa support, I don't think it's gonna cut it.

I'm really tempted to trade the Kustom 410 for another ampeg 15 and using the two 15s for live gigs.

Am I gonna regret it? Anyone here played through 2 ampeg 15s and not been happy?
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Two of the 15e's will put out approx. the same amount of volume as your Kustom 410 with the same amp and settings, so if the 410 handles your gigs, the two 15e's will, too.
  3. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Those Kustoms weigh a metric s--- ton. They sound alright with the Eminence in them but the weight and size makes them really hard to manage. My first rig was a Groove 1200H and G410H. I'd use two SVT 15 over them any day. My back would thank me too. ;)
  4. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Yah the levels are approx the same.

but he enjoys the tone of the 15inch better.

And yes 2 matching 15's would sound great, and give you the tone that you enjoy.

I would take a 2x15 over a weezy 410 any day.

No you would not regret it. all about the tone
  5. hsech

hsech I may be old, but I still have an opinion. Gold Supporting Member

A 4x10 with a 1x15 sub would sound killer.
  6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

LOL :bassist:
  7. Noose

Noose

Yeah, the weight is seriously nuts. Sure is a solid cab though. For a 410, it sure does thump. Not sure if the weight is worth it though.