1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

ampeg v4 and b25

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sugarmagnolia97, Dec 13, 2012.

1. sugarmagnolia97

sugarmagnolia97

I was just wondering what the differences were. theres alot of threads on them individualy but non comparing them. Anyone have some info? thanks
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Well- B25 is 55 watts and wants a 16 ohm load, V4B is 100 watts and happy with 2/4/8 ohms- for starters.
  3. sugarmagnolia97

sugarmagnolia97

What about sound wise?
  4. throbbinnut

throbbinnut

5. sugarmagnolia97

sugarmagnolia97

thanks. I think i like the v4 better
  6. throbbinnut

throbbinnut

I sold the B25B because it wasn't loud enough for me. The V4B is plenty loud, and I use it when we play outdoors.

Chris
  7. sugarmagnolia97

sugarmagnolia97

8. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Also, the V4/V4B has a mid-boost/cut control at three selectable frequencies of 300 Hz, 1000Hz, or 3000 Hz which the B25 doesn't have.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Both are very cool amps but the B-25 is a little on the esoteric side with its 16 ohm dealio. Definitely would go with a V4 or V4B over it given the choice, but if a deal popped up on a B25 for you, might be worth it to go take a look at it.
  10. vistacruiser

vistacruiser

Regarding the Ohms thing, on my B25 schematic, drawn 8/21/96 by Joe Piazza, the Ext. Speaker jack is clearly shown to be an 8 ohm tap from the OT. I have often used mine into an 8 ohm cab with no issues, though it sounds great with the orig. 16 ohm cab.
    Can't really comment on a tone comparison since I have not had the pleasure of playing through the V4, Obviously the power will be a big factor though, the B25 being only just enough for rehearsal and smaller blues or classic rock gigs. Unless mic'd.
    One other thing, V4 is twice the weight of a B25 head, 70lbs compared to 35 give or take.
  11. sugarmagnolia97

sugarmagnolia97

I've heard you need to put a dummy plug to use an 8 ohm cab. Do I put the dummy plug in the extension cab out or in the normal out?
  12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I believe the reason for the dummy plug trick working is that ampeg used shorting jacks on the speaker outs. If you don't plug into the "main" out and only use the "ext" out you won't get signal, but having both connections in switches the connections to the right transformer tap. Works that way with the SVT as well. If you're using a 8 ohm cab on the 16 ohm main tap you're likely overworking your tubes/transformer a bit, though with tube amps they're supposed to tolerate a lower rated mismatch better than a higher rated, so you might be ok.
  13. Russell L

Russell L

That is one cool control. Very effective. Select before you play, though, since it requires using the switch AND the knob.
  14. Europebass

Europebass

I'm a happy 2nd half 70-ies SVT user. I use 2 own made 4x10 cab's. Together they are sized as 1 square-/flatback 8x10. I put 8 1978 SVT (=ceramic Eminence) speakers in there. I'm currently looking for a bit lower powered amp. A friend of mine has got a late 70-ies B25b. With just 1 cabinet (indeed with the dummy plug in the external speaker socket since 1 cabinet is 8 ohms) it sounds outrageous, but just not loud. So ideal for studio/rehearsing. This weekend I was able to try a (also late 70-ies) V4b and hooked it up with my 2 cabinets. I was quite disappointed especially after reading all the raving reviews. The volume was perfect for this 200 cap club. I didn't even have to turn up 100% but the low end wasn't happening for me. Yes, it's there, plenty. But it's not together, not tight, not ballsy. The character is totally Ampeg, very warm, very tubelike, but I missed the punch. The low end seems open on the lower frequency side like it's flushing down the toilet or something. Don't know how to describe it any other way. Compared it a day later in the studio directly to the B25 and later also to the SVT: same thing. Too bad, it seemed perfect. Maybe it’s just this particular V4? It’s got a new 220 volts PT since it’s originally an US version (and I live in Europe). The SVT and the B25 are both export models carrying original 220 volts transformers. That’s the only major difference I can think of apart of course from different basic design (the V4 is after all first designed as a guitaramp).
    Hope to hear some more experiences from the field!