1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg V4 - Is it audible over cranked SVT-CL?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by AndyChandy, Jan 27, 2014.

1. AndyChandy

AndyChandy

I play bass in a new stoner/doom band. I am in the process of acquiring an Ampeg SVT-CL and 810e. Obviously I'm going to want to crank the thing pretty loud. However, I'm concerned that if I crank it, I'll overpower the guitarist, who will most likely be playing an Ampeg V4 (late 70's) with two 4x12 cabs. Ideally, I think we want the guitar to be slightly more dominant in the mix, especially since there is only one guitar. Is the 100W of tube power from the V4 going to be enough to dominate the sound over the 300W SVT? If not, do you guys have any recommendations to augment the guitar rig?

Thanks.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It should be fine. Guitar doesn't take nearly as much power to amplify as bass.
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    guitar player with 100 watts and 8-12's?

You may want two SVT's.
  4. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Guitar through a V4 and a 4x12 is painfully loud. You might want to consider earplugs.
  5. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I think you'll be fine. If anything, I'd want more power or more cab up against two V4's and sixteen 12's. Or some good earplugs.
  6. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

With a CL turn the gain up for grit and the master down for volume control.
    A cranked V4 with 2ea. 4x12's is extremely loud.
    The old small Ampeg combo's of that era were stupid loud; I had a VT22 that was a monster. In the day, some bands turned them backwards so that the speakers point toward the drummer to try and get the vocals out front without killing the audience for power tube breakup.
  7. john m

john m Supporting Member

I would augment your rig with another 8-10.

Better yet----disconnect 6 of the guitar rig speakers.

My buddy played in a Jimi tribute band--- bass through 4-12's, always on... The guit had 4 marshall cabs on stage, 2 heads. 2 of the guit cabs were EMPTY stage props,
    only one of the other 2 was connected, unless it was an outdoor gig. The 2nd marshal head was back up for guit or bass.
  8. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

two 8x10 cabs. Between the two of you, you could sub yourselves out as a demolition crew. :)
  9. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

If you are acquiring the rig, maybe you should give it a run with the band before worrying about problems.
  10. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Make it 4. Those amps support 2 Ohm loads.
  11. haystack55

haystack55 Supporting Member

are you going to be able to hear the drummer?
  12. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Disclosures:
    GHS Strings, HipShot Products, Pick Guy custom picks
    Only the cymbals--sometimes.

Imagine your ears feeling like you're under water. That's the sort of volume level we're talking about.
  13. AndyChandy

AndyChandy

Thanks for the quick response and great advice, guys. This is all very good news. The doom scene seems to be about ear-shattering volume levels, so it looks like we are on the right track. Still, the guitar is considered more important to the overall sound, so I'd rather have the problem of the guitar being too loud for the bass than the other way around. We've only played one show, and the guitarist was playing through a 2x12 combo amp. A Peavey Classic 50, actually. Great amp, but not nearly enough for what we are trying to do (I guess we are trying to make the audience go deaf long before the headliner starts playing...).
  14. jbd5015

jbd5015 Cool cars & Bass guitars Supporting Member

You guys are nuts!!!!! Get some ear plugs if you havent already. that is hearing loss central.

good luck!!!
  15. pfschim

pfschim Supporting Member

go ahead and call me a grumpy old guy, after all, I am just a skeleton with a Jazz bass, but I just do not understand this kind of thinking. I've played in bands since I was 13 (that's a loooo0000ooong time ago) and have played silly loud in my day (IMO/IME), but I just don't get this. I love "big sound" but how could it be good to play so loud it's painful to experience ?

oh well, enjoy (I guess)
  16. Chef

Disclosures:
    I concur; I don't get that either.
    "What we want to do is deafen the crowd before the opening act."

If I were the crowd, I'd either leave, or, complain to the sound guy and club owner, if I wanted to hear the main act.

I just don't understand why any band wants to be so loud that their fans can't have a conversation about how great they are ;)
    much less run them out of the venue.

Whatever floats y'alls boats though, I reckon...

Hey, you kids get offa my lawn!
  17. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Maybe the headliner is SO lousy they think they are doing everyone a favor by eliminating the misery? If guitar is more important than bass....why the heck even have one? Just sit in the audience and go deaf with the rest of them.
    Grumpy Old Fart rant over..........
  18. AndyChandy

AndyChandy

You guys have a point...and maybe I was exaggerating a little. I suppose we'll have to find that line between enjoyable and deafening. The audience is going to be composed of mostly metalheads, after all.
  19. Chef

Disclosures:
    Well, for sure you want to deliver what your audience wants.
    I guess I'm not your target demographic :)
  20. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Maybe you grumpy old farts wouldn't be so grumpy if you wore earplugs...

I've been to countless 50-100 person clubs with every member of every band running full stacks and haven't had ringing in my ears after a show since I was 14 (the first and only show I had ever been to at the time, and the last time I went to a show without earplugs). And that was caused by the PA line array, NOT the onstage volume.