Ampeg v4 vs SVT cl

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jarry, Dec 28, 2013.

1. jarry

jarry

First post, so apologize before hand if this has been covered multiple times.

Basic debate whether the SVT is worth double the price(used canadian market). I play in a loud punk band& a stoner rock band. Usually I would just spend the extra money and buy the svt, but there is a list of pedals I could(&want to) buy with the extra cash and just wait a while to upgrade.

I love loud distorted, overdriven, and fuzzy bass. Am I going to be disappointed with the loudness of a v4?

Thanks :bag::bag::bawl::spit::meh::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

What cab are you driving? If a 210 or single 15" yes, 810 maybe not.

3. Dudaronamous

Dudaronamous Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's possible that you will desire more volume. The v4's 100 watts will be used to best effect with appropriate speaker cabs that enable you to push lots of air. Yes, this has been covered a few times in previous threads on TB. Good luck!

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Loud and distorted, a V4 should be fine. If you want loud and clean, got SVT. I have both, my preference is for the V4. At its loudest through my 8x10 I'm hitting that distortion zone, but I'm also what I'd consider borderline unreasonably loud. What kind of cab/s are you planning to run?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jarry

jarry

ampeg 810 sorry,

Appreciate the quick response.

Just about to record and annoyed at spending 35$/day to rent an svt, when I don't have a grand+ to buy one. And I do have enough to pick up a v4. Conflicted

7. Grissle

Grissle

If you like some dirt a V4B with an Ampeg 810e is magic! Better yet a Heritage 810! Oh baby😎

8. Jazzbass2010

Jazzbass2010

My experience I find the V4 b a great amp . How ever I find it doesn't react or push the speakers like the cl . Owning the V4 b I have run out of headroom where the svt just kept pumping if I needed it . I use a p bass and jazz bass and found the p bass was the one that I found I needed more headroom . Any room over 100 people with out pa support I'd go with a svt .

9. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

I tried one in a music store and got almost zero volume out of it. Maybe I got a lemon?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Make no mistake...a V4 or V4B through an 810 can get extremely loud even when running clean. The difference is I can (just barely) stand to be in the same room with a V4B/810 cranked up all the way whereas an SVT/810 cranked up all the way will cause me to lose my lunch.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    That or you hooked it up wrong.

12. wighat

wighat

I've got both. If I had to choose, I'd take the SVT.

13. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I think my old V4B sounded a little sweeter than my SVT and with enough speakers the volume was good; not enough power for loud, clean, and small cabinet though.
    I kept the SVT in the long run; not THAT much heavier.

14. mbelue

mbelue

Saw one at a shop a few weeks ago hooked up wrong, it happens.
    Two 4 ohm cabs on the 8 ohm tap.
    Hurts to see a new amp treated like that.

15. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

I hooked it up right. However, I remember it saying something other than "V4". However, it looked identical to a V4 and I assumed it was simply a misprint on the tag

16. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

With the old V4's, with a single cab, if you plugged into the top jack that says "Ext Spkr", you will only get a very low distorted sound.

The correct jack with a single cab is the lower jack marked SPKR. In this picture you can see the speaker cable plugged in correctly.

edit: Here's why. Though the two jacks are in parallel, the bottom jack is a shorting jack. It's intended to protect the amp from self-destruction if the amp is run without a speaker cable connected. So if nothing is plugged into that jack, the jack shorts the amp's power output to ground (remember, short to ground is allowable for a tube amp, exactly the opposite of a solid-state amp where a short to ground will fry the amp's outputs). If you've plugged the speaker cable into the top jack by mistake, a little bit of distorted sound comes out or none at all.

Attached Files:

17. whitespikebass

whitespikebass

If you desire fuzzy and distorted the V4 is great. Don't expect clean at band levels though. I had both and kept the SVT as well. I thought the V4 sounded amazing, but for my music I needed the ability to have clean most of the time, and grit occasionally.

That being said, I have never tried one through an 810. Only a 412.

18. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all.

If it were a V4 vs. SVT-VR, I'd say that's a tough choice.

but between a V4 and CL?? it's the V4, hands down.

^this, x11

V4BH.

I wasn't a fan. that was a weak 100w head.

19. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Dayum Bill,
    I bought a 300 watt dummy load to take a signal from the amp out to a DI box for studio work.
    Looks like I was being over cautious, not a bad thing with the output side of a tube amp though.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    VF, love the VR, but if you turn the master up all the way and use gain to control volume on a CL, they behave and sound pretty much identical to me. My Heritage CL and 69 SVT sound identical to me, as an example. OK, so I have a Heyboer output transformer on the Heritage ;) but still...

21. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Nope,it looked vintage.