1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

ampeg v4

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by joshj12db, Jan 9, 2013.

1. joshj12db

joshj12db

i have recently come across a 1970's ampeg v4 a, but it has been modified to become a v4b.

i have wanted a decent head unit for quite a while so was quite happy when i was offered one.

i have a few questions tho, it needs a good service as it looks like it has been a while since the last one, so im wondering how much is something like this worth ?

is it better than a classic SVT ? or should i hold out and try and buy one of them ?
  2. haystack55

haystack55 Supporting Member

I paid $600 for my V-4B about 5 months ago in good, un-messed-with condition. at 100 watts it's plenty loud into my vintage squareback 8x10 and breaks up a lot quicker than my SVT. fantastic gritty tone. I paid a local amp tech $65 to give it a once over and replace a bad resistor (basically an hour's labor).
  3. Tuned

Tuned

It can be quite costly to service V4's. The tubes are worth over $200, a cap job is more like $250 and will need to be done soon if it hasn't already, and it's a rather elaborate design so just tracking problems can be time consuming. You should really insist the amp be inspected before buying, ideally agree on a price before inspection unless repairs are too high, and offer to split the inspection cost if you don't buy it. If the seller won't agree to that, don't buy it.
  4. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

I'm a v4b fanboy. I have both, it and a 75 svt. The SVT hasn't left the house since I got the v4 over a year ago and it's not because of the weight. With two fifteens and any fender it's the best bass sound I've ever had.
  5. Alex1984

Alex1984

It can definitely stand up to the SVT tone-wise if you don't need super high power. It should be loud enough for most gigs.
  6. Tuned

Tuned

I run an SVP-CL preamp and an IPR power amp. It weighs ~15lbs and it can drive four 8x10's to tears. I love V4's but I don't regret selling mine.
  7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

A cap job on a V4 shouldn't be more than $150. If you pay $250 you're getting ripped off. Even the cap job on my SVT wasn't that expensive.