Ampeg V4B problem

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bassy105, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Bassy105

Bassy105 Supporting Member

Well my new V4B and 112 cab came today! Opened the V4B box(double box, really great shipping design), pull out the head and immediately hear a rattle:roll no:,not a great sign. I look in the back and see a preamp tube cover rolling around. I think, wow, this box must have been dropped pretty hard to jar a spring loaded preamp tube cover. I take the back off and remove a power tube so I can get to the preamp tube, take it out and look at it and it appears to be ok. Put it back in and take the other preamp tube covers off and visually look at the other tubes. Everything looks ok. Plug the cab, guitar, and the power cord in and power it up. The red light comes on and everything looks good except, can't see any tubes lighting up. Take it off standby and the red light on front fades to off and all I get through the speaker is a low level hum.:crying:
    I turn everything off unplug it and check the fuse on the back panel, looks perfectly good.
    Try it one more time, same result.
    Before I take this head back to order a replacement, is there something simple I can try to fix the problem? I'm not electrically inclined and know just enough about tube amps to be dangerous.
    I suspect this head was dropped or thrown around pretty darn hard somewhere along the road. It looks cosmetically perfect. I'm afraid there is one or more areas damaged in the circuit during shipping.
    Any ideas???
    Thanks for your help.
  2. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Death Fist Kill Guy Supporting Member

Media:
    Fiddling with tube heads can be quite dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. I'd say it's time to do an exchange for a new one, unfortunately :meh:
  3. redhed

redhed TUBE LOVER! Gold Supporting Member

My "NEW" Ampeg V4B had problems within 2 months of purchase, and it is still in the shop..... Whether or not it was dropped or thrown down, your taking a chance when purchasing a new Ampeg......
  4. Bassy105

Bassy105 Supporting Member

Yeah, thats what I was afraid of. Been waiting a few weeks to get this one. In 4 decades of buying amps , I've only had this kind of thing happen one other time, with a ptp 65 guitar amp no less.
  5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Man that sucks I'm keeping my fingers crossed that mine holds up I would send it back immediately and get another one.
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

What's wrong with yours?
  7. redhed

Don't know yet, but my SVT Classic which was relatively new as well had the same problem - the master volume was/is extremely loud at the lowest settings, not all the time but most of the time and is pretty hard on my cabs! The SVT was fixed under warranty and I was told the tech replaced 2 resistors. I also bought an Ampeg SVT 3 Pro recently that would just cut out and have loud noises coming out of it even after it was "fixed" the store let me take it back and I got a new Ampeg 810AV to match my V4B, I really love my Ampegs! But have been let down!
  8. SirMjac28

Man that sucks I'm not sure if mine has an issue but I get no sound until I'm at 9:00 on the master and gain my Mesa has a much better range. I hope this thing doesn't blow up on me the nearest Ampeg shop is a car ride away and at both shops the guys sound like jerks.
  9. redhed

That really sucks! It sucks paying good money for crap that doesn't work properly...
  10. redhed

And I still want to love Ampeg stuff!
  11. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that. What a total and absolute downer. FWIW I avoided buying Ampeg because I was nervous about reliability and, well, my Hartke failed on me yesterday.

All bass amps suck.
  12. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Supporting Member

It's Ampeg, gotta love it! :D
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sounds like it took a big hit if a pre tube was loose. Could have busted enough tubes not to work. That's a solidly built little amp. I've had it fall from a 3 ft distance onto a concrete floor with no case or cover and all I did was bust a preamp tube and scrape the tolex around the chassis. If you don't want to send it back, you could call Ampeg tomorrow and see if they think a new set of tubes will fix you up, or you could just send it back and try another one. It really is a solid little amp based on my dropping experience, and I think it was package mishandling that did it.
  14. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

You didn't get shipped a 220 Volt wired unit by mistake did you ?
  15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The box didn't show up looking like gorillas played football with it? I'll go with dud solder that tested ok but didn't survive the van ride. The spring loaded cover that fell off was probably never put on properly. If it was me I'd want a new one.
  16. DogBone

DogBone

Get on the phone with the dealer you bought it from ASAP, otherwise get on the phone with Ampeg pronto.

It was certainly dropped or otherwise mishandled during shipping and needs to be either thoroughly inspected and repaired or better yet replaced.

It's disappointing I know, but better to take the time now to get it made right so you can enjoy a great tube head down the road without a bunch of headaches.
  17. nysbob

nysbob

Exactly why I haven't bought a "new" amp over 30 years.

I like 'em after they've been out there and proven themselves.
  18. SirMjac28

That thing must have been thrown around because the factory packaging is really good I loved the fact it was double boxed the FedEx girl that delivered mine was about 5'2" and I know she dropped mine at least once.
  19. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

I would try reseating all the tubes. You said that you inspected them, I wasn't sure if you tried pushing them all in.

There are some additional fuses inside the chassis. The heater, which makes the tubes light up, has an 8A fuse for example. There are also come connectors that can be reseated to ensure that they are all plugged in properly. Checking these things would require opening up the amp though.
  20. SirMjac28

The only thing I would open up would be the box of my replacement amp I wouldn't touch anything.