1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg versus Orange

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Eskimo Spy, Aug 10, 2013.

?

Which head do you prefer?

1. Head 1

16 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. Head 2

41 vote(s)
    71.9%
  1. Eskimo Spy

Eskimo Spy Supporting Member

So, I have an Ampeg Heritage SVT-CL with an Ampeg Heritage 410HLF.

I recently bought an Orange AD200B with an OBC 410 and an OBC115.

I have played both heads through both stacks; Ampeg through Ampeg, Orange through Orange, Ampeg to Orange, Orange to Ampeg.

I have played them for people I know and trust, and the problem is...

I can't pick one head or cab setup over the other (and neither can anyone else.) I kept hoping one would prove itself to be head and shoulders above the other, but that hasn't happened.

The good news is, I've found that I really like playing with a 410/115. But I also really like playing with just the 115 (which I can't do with the Orange and Ampeg head, 4 Ohm head to 8 Ohm cab.)

Anyway, I'm not asking anyone to figure it out for me, I guess I just wanted to write all this out (and vent a bit!) :p

That said, here's some recordings of the two heads. If you have a preference, mark it as 1 or 2, and after a bit, I'll reveal which is which.

Ampeg Heritage 410 Cab -- 1973 Fender P w/ flats, tone halfway up -- Head EQs flat

Orange OBC410 & OBC115 -- 1973 Fender P w/flats, tone halfway up -- Head EQs flat

Orange OBC410 & OBC 115 -- Darkstar Lakland Glaub w/flats, tone halfway up -- Head EQs flat

Orange OBC410 & OBC 115 -- 1973 Fender P w/flats, tone halfway up -- Head EQs set to my preference

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. ChelleGame

ChelleGame

I like # 2. It sounds clearer, more definition, but still with all the low end.
  3. NightTripper

NightTripper

They both sounded pretty much perfect. I may have liked 2 a little better. It seemed more well-defined. For all I know you may have just been playing a bit harder. They both sound great in any case.
  4. Eskimo Spy

I tried my best to play each with the same level of attack and just play relaxed and loose. But I just finished recording in studio, so I think my brain is fried...
  5. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Overall the sound is very dark but head 2 actually had some highs and sounded more defined and clearer than head 1.
  6. tabdog

tabdog

This is my answer also,

Tabdog
  7. H3nchman

H3nchman

Great playing! Have to go with head 1. Not to be a rebel or anything. I just liked the sound better.
  8. MartinG1957

MartinG1957 You can never have too many bones.... Supporting Member

Comfy chair - check
    Popcorn - check
    Beer - check
    Now, where's JimmyM! :)
  9. Musicman20

Musicman20

You can play with the OBC115 and the Orange amp (it allows one 8 ohm load).
  10. arai

arai

I liked amp two. But I would like to hear both through a cab that is not as dark as the 410HLF
  11. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

the difference is so minimal I'd get whichever is cheaper or looks cooler to you.
  12. GlamJam

GlamJam

Both sound excellent. Go with the lighter one and your back will be happy.
  13. Feral Feline

Feral Feline

Using headphones, I found the two sounded quite different. Both sounded good: #1 has a wooly quality that would lend itself to the bass being felt more than heard such as dub/reggae, ambient stuff etc; #2 had more note definition/articulation for jazz, metal, fusion etc.

I chose #2, because it's probably a more versatile sound.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I thought you were playing a synth at first!

Gotta be honest...if you lied and said one was the other, I'd believe it.
  15. Eskimo Spy

Okay, since some asked for a different cab, I ran the Ampeg and Orange through an OBC410 and an OBC 115. Just like the first track, the first riff is finger, the second is pick on each head.

Head 1 runs until the :40 mark, then Head 2.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    And people laugh at me when I say "tone is in the hands." Two completely different rigs...all the same sounds.
  17. Eskimo Spy

Okay, last example. Head test 3, same setup as test 2, except I'm playing a Darkstar Lakland Glaub with flats, tone halfway up. I've put all three together for easy reference.

Ampeg Heritage 410 Cab -- 1973 Fender P w/ flats, tone halfway up -- Head EQs flat

Orange OBC410 & OBC115 -- 1973 Fender P w/flats, tone halfway up -- Head EQs flat

Orange OBC410 & OBC 115 -- Darkstar Lakland Glaub w/flats, tone halfway up -- Head EQs flat

18. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Both seemed fine to me. I voted Head 2. I think I like the pick sound just a bit better.
  19. Sheffield

Sheffield

The Orange sounds better than the Ampeg all other things being equal, the Fender sounds about as good as the Lakland fingerstyle, and the Lakland sounds whackloads more aggressive than the Fender pickstyle (I like; up to you if that works for the music).
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    How do you know which amp is which? ES hasn't told us which one is which.