1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg Vs. Hartke

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TjMetalhead, Dec 12, 2013.

1. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

I've been wanting a new high powered amp, and I've tried both the Hartke LH1000 and the Ampeg SVT7PRO at my Guitar center, and I like both tones, but like the more tone options and additional features on the Ampeg, but the Hartke seems much louder barley taking it to 3 and it's already enough and with the ampeg I have to take the master to 5 and the gain to 3-4 and then it gets loud they're both 1000 watts, something just doesn't feel right, the ampeg should be louder...i don't know what do you guys think?
  2. cableguy

cableguy

Haven't played either amp, but not all volume controls ramp up at the same rate.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Knob position is immaterial and means nothing.
  4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

The volume controls are not linear they are log. The log tapers can vary depending on the potentiometer that they use. It's a marketing trick to make an amp louder at a lower setting. Get whichever amp sounds best. Crank them both and see how they do at higher volume levels.
  5. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

Yea volume knob doesn't mean a whole lot (except how loud it will be on that given amp, in that given position, on those given settings, with that given bass ;) ). Personally, I loved the sound of the LH1000 when I played through it, but I liked the sound of the GK 700rb just slightly more and it had a ton more EQ options, so I went with that (My top 2 at the time). So it kind of depends on how much EQ you'll need and which tone you prefer. If the Hartke feels right and you like getting the volume without turning the knob way up then go for it. If you really want to be able to sculpt your sound then go with the Ampeg. Just because the volume knob doesn't get it as loud as quick doesn't mean a whole lot; As long as it still gets as loud as you need it to.
  6. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

5=3. 3=5. 10=smoking speakers. Ampeg=Ampeg. :D
  7. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Awesome! thanks guys, that 5 position selector is what always gets me with the Ampeg, Now time save $$$!:bag:
  8. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

you should check out the Hartke Kilo!!! IMHO
  9. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I find the 7 Pro to be a huge powerhouse.
    I have enough cabinets that could support its' total output power but I can't imagine ever needing 1 kilowatt of power as a stage monitor.
    I buy big amps for headroom and choose one over the other based on the tone.