Ampeg vs Mark Bass

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassrush67, Dec 15, 2013.

1. bassrush67

bassrush67

I have Ampeg SVT with an SWR triad cab. Its all in one shock proof flight case along with rack tuner, wireless, and power conditioner, on 4"casters. I call it the BEAST. I can't load it by myself. I have seriously been considering going to the mark with 1-15 &
    2 - 10's and the 800 watt tube head. Simply for weight purposes. I would still put it all in a flight case. I play a 5 string and I don't want to give up my lower end. I haven't gotten to play through that particular mark setup live. I have in music stores but that isn't the same. Any suggestions or opinions?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Get separate cases ;)

3. Major Softie

Major Softie

Yeah, that's a crazy load to pack all into one unit.

4. bassrush67

bassrush67

This is without the tuner and wireless!!

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. David Hayes

David Hayes Guest

I have personally never cared for ANY of the MarkBass stuff.

7. leroy diamond

leroy diamond

Have used Markbass for several years and I like them. The now discontinued F500 is a fantastic punchy amp. Have used this running into 2 markbass cabs, giving 500 watts at 8 ohms and its killer, together with being an easy move

8. David Hayes

David Hayes Guest

Don't get me wrong, lots of people like them. Just not me.

9. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all.

10. leroy diamond

leroy diamond

Sure thing. They are not for everyone.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I love my MarkBass gear and was quite happy when I switched from Ampeg. I have not regretted the decision for a second. I do get why some people might not like their cabinets though, they have a noticeable low mid bump, so I am not as quick to recommend them.

OP is it possible for you to rent a MarkBass rig? I would do that to see if it works for you, in your band before I went out and bought anything. I would also look at other brands, if weight is the only prerequisite then lots of brands can fit the bill here. I would personally recommend Epifani but that is based on my tastes.

You could always get two cases. I am assuming you are doing major touring to necessitate those road cases, I do not go that far, so for me I would ditching the cases all together. I can carry my bass, pedalboard, amp, and cabinet all in one trip if I really want to, so adding a case like that would just slow me down.

12. bassrush67

bassrush67

Interesting. I do love my sound. We will see what happens. Thanks guys.