Ampeg vs.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Pills Are Yummy, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Quick comparison of some ampegs I found online

Ampeg SVT CL VS. Ampeg 80's MIT SVT VS. 73-75 magnavox SVT

.....GO
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    An SVT is an SVT is an SVT as far as I'm concerned. I've played them all but the Heritage SVT-CL and they're all great amps as long as they're in working order. The SVT-CL is a bit different in that it has separate gain and master and only one channel, but if you turn the master up to about 3:00 and use the gain to control volume, it sounds a lot more like the vintage SVT's, plus you can get preamp distortion out of it by cranking gain if that's your thang.

For cool points, obviously the Magnavox wins, but MTI SVT's are just as good if you ask me. They get a bad rap because they were made in Japan and the owner was a great salesman who had no idea about engineering and they brought out a lot of crappy new products, but one thing they could always do was build a nice SVT.
  3. prd004

prd004

Loving the SVT-VR myself.
    I guy I know, in the know, told me the SVT-AV is his favorite.
    I agree with Jimmy, there is no bad SVT as long as we are talking about the "real" ones. (although the hybrids are good amps too, I'm not including them)
  4. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Not too into the hybrids myself. I'm young and in my prime, I don't care about lugging around 100lb amps as long as I get that wonderful grind and tone
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Can't go wrong with any of those, really. The modern CL/AV amps are single channel with a master volume, while the vintage/MTI/VR are two channel. With a newer amp, you are farther away from necessary maintenance. If you buy anything 20+ years old you should also consider it may need a cap job (about $250 repair), but any amp that's been used/abused for an extended period of time may need some work.
  7. vgbob

vgbob

Dude, you want tone? No problem with heavy? Any current SVT. If you start thinking about 'vintage' be ready to deal with maintenance.
  8. dmac1961

dmac1961

Brand new should be reliable, no question. But even vintage models are built like a tank and once serviced, should give you years of trouble free performance. Often times, people on here go on about the service required for tube amps, I currently own three vintage Ampegs and have had each of them for 25 + years and rarely do I take a trip to the tech. YMMV.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Word, although I must admit that my 69 is back in the shop ;) But it was rode hard and put away wet for decades before I got it restored, so hey...
  10. johnpbass

johnpbass

Yours is the Doug Ingle signature model, right JimmyM?;)
  11. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

yah unfortunately all my svt's went" Back in the shop'
    to many times so I gave up.

But i do have a love for his brother the V4B
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Indeed. Except after Doug sold it (he got new ones all the time back then), whoever else owned it beat the crap out of it. So I forgive its occasional flare-ups. Most of them have been tube related, though. This problem is the first real problem I've had since I got it restored in 2009.
  13. johnpbass

johnpbass

That's very cool! Shows how solidly made the SVT amps are!
  14. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

15. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I thought hard about weighing in here. I worked part time in auth repair shop for many brands. I will say it is possible to get a very good MTI built SVT. It is very less likely to get a "bad" Magnavox built SVT.
  16. nysbob

nysbob

My magnavox SVT has had nothing more than routine maintenance in 30 years of service and I'm still in love. I pity the fool that tries to wrest it from me.
  17. RSNG

RSNG

I have an early 80s SVT that I bought new. It's got a lot of miles on it. I've had it retubed once, and it's now semi retired. It's a PITA to move around, but it's the best sounding bass amp I've ever used.
  18. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

Exactly. Don't go crazy with the hype. Keep an eye out for a good deal on one in good shape - that's all!
  19. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

My 73 SVT is the amp by which all others are judged. It is a MONSTER in every aspect of the word!