1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by diwa130, Dec 16, 2013.

1. diwa130

diwa130

Does anybody have used Ampeg amps with a Double Bass.
    I am looking for an amp that can perform well with my DB (realist pickup under the bridge) and my electric bass.
    I was looking into Ampeg PF-500.
    I know that Acoustic Image is the ideal amp for DB , but it's out of my budget at the moment and it seems not fit for electric bass.
    Any advise is very welcome.
    Walter
  2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

Walter,
    Well, I've demoed the PF-350 and the PF 500. I actually, preferred the EQ section of the 350, as it's more like the B-15, but it may not have enough power if you're doing rock gigs. So, I'd look at the Markbass Big Bang, it's in your price range, and has a 2 Meg Ohm input impedance, that's very complimentary for a piezo pickup. Provided that you don't double often, it's a nice affordable amplifier. The Aquillar DB 500 is also very nice.
    I realize the Acoustic Image isn't within your finances, but they have re voiced their pre amp with low mid and high mid controls that give you better options for bass guitar and double bass. There have been some isolated issues with PF-500's, but as far as I know Ampeg took care of their customers.

Ric
  3. diwa130

diwa130

Thank You for you reply, very useful. I don't play rock, mostly jazz and DB/electric is 60/40.
    Electric is used for jazz, fusion, funk, with frequent slap technique.
  4. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Three letters. S V T. Ain't nuthing but a party ya'll. I know, not helpful. You'd do well listening to Ric. He seems to have some of the best advice on here.
  5. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

I use an Ampeg PF350 with an Eden EX410SC Cab for my Shen. Sounds great, and it's got plenty of balls to keep up with a drummer. I use the Fdeck HPF dialed in at about 60 HZ to keep the rumble out, and I can get pretty damn loud while maintaining a good tone.
  6. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

I've noticed you mention this head before and you got me thinking. Right now, my backup amp is a Markbass LMK. I like that it's two channel and it sounds great with BG but it has a 500k ohm input, not so great for URB. I was thinking about unloading the LMK and picking up a Big Bang.

Or would it be better just to use a preamp like the Ehrlund or the fDeck and keep the two channel?
  7. CalgAaron

CalgAaron

I've been using my SVT-3Pro with either a 112 or a 212 Aguilar for a while for doubling. I play country, jazz, and funk and it really cuts through the mix. I recently purchased a Radial Bassbone. Now I don't have to worry about dialing everything in after an instrument change. This might not be in your price range but that's what I've been using.

Granted I have been saving up for an Acoustic Image Clarus because you can get two separate channels on one amp and it's less gear to haul around.
  8. Ric Vice

Steve,
    I agree with you that the PF 350 is a decent sounding DB amplifier and based on what DIWA has said, that's certainly a possibility for him.

Ric
  9. Ric Vice

Don,
    Well, your Markbass LMK is a full two channel amp, while the Big Bang only has one, if you don't count it's auxiliary 1/8" stereo jack. The Big Bang has an input impedance of 2 Meg Ohm's, so it's better suited to piezo pickups. However, in your case, since you own the AI Clarius 4+ (two channel) I'm not sure you'd gain that much, as the Big Bang really falls toward EB vs DB, compared to the Acoustic Image or the LMK. I do like the EQ voicing of the Big Bang when compared to the Little Mark III.

Ric
  10. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    I traded for a PortaBass 250 recently and used it with a 4 ohm Acme B1 on two jazz gigs. Comparing it at home to my series 1 and II Clarus heads leads me to believe that it lacks the natural tone AI amps are known for. Its 500k input is a drawback but I don't find it to be a problem with my Realist. With an Underwood or Fishman it would probably quack like a duck. What I like is the very effective EQ. With a bit of work, It can sound virtually identical to the AI head. I will use it when I don't know the room because the Clarus is a bit of a one trick pony EQ wise and I trust its conventional power supply. From what I've seen I like it more than the newer Ampeg offerings. It's made in St Louis and goes for $200. With the side strap handle it is easy to schlep.
  11. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Walter, I see you are using a Realist so no worries. My PB 250 sounds great with slab.
  12. Ric Vice

I remember these amps well, they were the last new product that SLM (St Louis Music) designed before Loud Technologies bought them out. They had a little warmer
    sound than the more modern class D amplifiers, and the EQ was simple and easy to use,

The advantage of the Portabass EQ is it has high and low boost switches, and two midrange shift controls, assigned to the low and high midrange controls. Those buttons are real game changers when you get into an unfamiliar situation because they quickly alter the voicing of the amp.

There's one on ebay as we speak, and it's very affordable. My only concern would be with servicing the amp, as it's no longer in production, they were built in Arkansas at the SLM plant there, heres the link to the owners manual
    http://www.ampeg.com/pdf/pb250.pdf

Ric
  13. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    They may well have been made in Arkansas; I remember when they closed that plant. Regarding servicing the amp, other than the weight, an attractive feature is its conventional (non-switching) power supply. This feature should make the amp more reliable with suspect power. At the price, is repair really feasible?
  14. Ric Vice

That's right, I forgot it was a standard (toroidal?) power supply. That makes it much easier, and cheaper to repair.
    I'm not sure that they built that many of them.

Ric
  15. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Yes, it's toroidal. Actually, both of my Clarus heads have toroidal transformers as well, and although I don't understand much about the designs, I prefer them to feather weights with similar power ratings.