Ampeg !!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by redboy1975, Jan 1, 2014.

1. redboy1975

redboy1975

So my buddy calls me the other night all excited and wants me to come over and check his new Amp out ! I get there and see it's an Ampeg and instantly I'm not impressed . I've never been an Ampeg fan , just feel like Ampeg has a sound all it's own and I don't like it . Their gear will last a lifetime and it's very well designed just not for me . This amp is a a b1-RE and is rated at 175w at 8 ohms and 300w at 4 ohms . Controls are minimal and solid as a rock . Plugged it into a 4 ohm cab and let it rip . I was very impressed with this little amp , first for seeming more powerful than it is . Sounds more like a. 500w amp . Handled everything I threw at it with ease and for a solid state amp was very warm probably the warmest solid state amp I've played . I'm actually building my own small portable rig right now so I ordered myself one . So if your looking for a small , cheap , powerful , easy to use rack mount amp you need to test drive this one for sure .
  2. ctufankjian

ctufankjian

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Unicornbass.se
    I have to agree with you regarding Ampeg stuff. I've owned tons of Ampeg amp configurations in the past only leave me wondering why I don't get what the big deal is. Plugging into back lined Ampeg setups at gigs I've always felt like It was hard to dial in something that cuts the mix and isn't super low. HOWEVER, I've recently started getting comfortable with a friend's 3Pro head at practice, and all I can say is that I'm finally sold. Just traded my Epifani Cabinet for a 410 HLF, and after pairing it up with the amp, I'm totally impressed by the sound. It's a very inconspicuous setup that sounds amazing. Definitely on the lookout for my very own solid state SVT now!

:D
  3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Over the last 35 years, I have owned several early to late 70s SVT heads and cabs, SVT-CL, SVT 4 PRO, SVT 6 PRO, SVT 7 PRO, B2R and BA500. I have also owned various Ampeg cabs. I wasn't happy with the 4 PRO or the B2R. Both seemed under powered and lacked clarity. The 70s SVT head were great and I love the sound of my SVT 6 PRO.
  4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Judging Ampeg by their B series solid state amps is unfair. These are entry level designs, and not at all like their more professional level gear, ie SVT-CL, SVT-VR, Heritage series, and many of the Pro series amps, and even some other solid state gear, like the B100R, not to mention B15R, V4B, etc etc.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. redboy1975

redboy1975

I've played their pro series amps and wasn't impressed by those either but still great equipment for someone who likes that sound . Once I plugged into a David Eden rig there was no turning back and for a gig it's what I'm taking with me but the
    Ampeg B1-RE is more than suitable for what I'm using it for . I'm building a three way cab for it and it will probably see a few friends homes but no real gigs , just something small and nice sounding to drag with me . So to clear the air this is in no way a pro amp but if you are on a limited budget and want an amp that's utterly reliable and sounds better and plays louder than it first appears then give this amp a try .
  7. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

I'd agree that they are not the same but I would not claim unfair. Ampeg makes many products and they are all different. The B series caters to people that do not want that Ampeg tone but do want that Ampeg reliability. I personally have a B2-RE and I love it to death. Absolutely love it. I appreciate the sound of all the amps you listed but I really don't want that. What I do want is the type of quality Ampeg is known for, and that is what I've got.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good. More SVT's and V4B's for the rest of us ;)
  9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

I never been a real big fan of Ampeg's B and Pro series stuff, but I do like my Micro VR and SVT-II nonpro.
  10. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    There's a reason so many people love Ampeg SVTs, Fender basses and deep dish pizza. It's just good!
  11. huckleberry1

huckleberry1 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    student
    You tell em, Jimmy- gearing up for an Ampeg rig here next month...
  12. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

The V4B is a tube head.

But I agree, I've heard a lot of mediocre B-100's and B2RE's. I loved the CL and the 6 pro was cool too. I think their preamps are some their best work though, like the SVT-IIP and SVP-CL/PRO.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    B100R I consider a classic, personally, especially if you like B-15's.
  14. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

The soul of the Ampeg tone, IMO, is the baxandall bass and treble, and the inductor based active midrange.

The B series doesn't have the inductor based mid, but Ampeg's "ultra-mid" which is a different circuit. If you don't like classic Ampeg tone, the B series offers something different.
  15. jason_cfh

jason_cfh

I've had the micro-vr w/210av for a few years now and still love it. Hasn't given me any problems and holds it own very well in practice, studio and small bar/club situations. The price was also too good to pass up as well. Thinking of adding another 210av just to see if I can knock pictures off walls and shatter windows lol
  16. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

One day I may just own a B15. That's the only tube amp I've ever liked. I totally get why most love the SVT's. They have a sound like no other and If I were a P bass player in a rock band thats the amp I'd be running to. But, alas, I am not. So I'll stick to my trusty B series and my SVT15EN.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hey, we're all family :D
  18. Bulldawg82

Bulldawg82 Supporting Member

I am very happy with my SVT7.
  19. whitespikebass

whitespikebass

Three of my favorite things ever.
  20. keithbroussard

keithbroussard Supporting Member

I LOVE my Ampeg SVT-VR! Best amp I have EVER used hands down!
  21. whitespikebass

whitespikebass

One of the main reasons people love Ampeg is because THEY DO have a sound all their own. Ampeg has a very distinct flavor … of course I'm mainly talking about the tube stuff and a few select SS or Hybrid products that have the distinct Ampeg flavoring.

I've always gone back to it, bum back and all.