1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Amps, cabs and watts

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dllive, Mar 17, 2014.

1. dllive

dllive

Hi,
    I have a 200 watt amp and a 300 watt cab. Does this mean I will only ever get 200 watts of sound out of my cab?
    Thanks

2. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Pretty much, but that puts you in a fairly safe range to crank the amp without fear of blowing speakers.

3. dllive

dllive

Thanks. I hadnt thought of blowing the speaker. So its always best that the cab is higher wattage than th ehead.

4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:

To the OP: use your ears and what is between them. If the cab sounds like it is going to blow then it will. Many cabs reach their mechanical limits well before their thermal ratings.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

^^^^This x1000^^^^

Wattage ratings are, in essence, just numbers. Amps may put out spikes higher than their advertised ratings. Cabs can give out if EQ's and brains are not properly utilized.

And this has been SOOO covered.

7. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

The amount of power the amp puts out is determined by the impedance of the cab, not at what it's rated for. If it is an 8Ω cab and your amp puts out 200 watts @ 4Ωs, you'll probably get around 130 watts.

If it is a 4Ω cab and your amp puts out 200 watts @4Ωs, you will get 200 watts to the cab.

There are stickies above about this, although they can get annoying as heck to read if they're shown in a typical bickering thread type of format. ;)

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You might not even get that without blowing a speaker. See post #4.