Amps in road cases: feet on or off?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by thedudebrah, Dec 12, 2013.

1. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

Just got a lift lid road case for my SVT VR and I'm wondering if it's standard procedure to take the feet off of the bottom of the head so it sits flush in the tray or if I should leave them on. Anyone have a preference?
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Leave them on.

Sounds more like a case than a rack case.
  3. thedudebrah

Yeah I meant road case lol. Fast fingers since I'm excited to pull this thing out of the box.

I tried it with the feet on and the head seemed to rock a bit on the thick foam base.

Edit: fixed the thread title.
  4. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

On, especially if it offers support against the bottom of the case and doesn't upset the rack ear mounting angle

OTOH I've had amps that won't fit without the feet off; I think I had to remove the feet of my 7 Pro for clearance in a 2-space rack
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

If you take it out of the case, you'll want it to have the feet.
  7. David Hayes

David Hayes Guest

Feet on. Definitely.
  8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I would be inclined to take feet off, not that I've owned said beast. Perhaps real McCoy road cases have recesses for the feet?
  9. thedudebrah

I took the feet off and it seems to sit in there nicely. I'll put the feet on it tomorrow and try it out. I feel like eventually the feet would "settle" into the thick foam pad on the bottom and provide more stability against lateral movement.

Brand is SafeCase if that matters.
  10. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Is it a live in case? If not, what are you going to do when it's not in the case?
  11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

I always figured that mine does this when it's in its case. I never get to see it because the lid is closed.
  12. Mr. Sound

Mr. Sound Supporting Member

I left my feet on... I know where they are now! (I would probably lose one!)
  13. thedudebrah

It's not a live in, but I plan on it living in at least the tray. The amp is either at the practice spot (my house) or at a gig. I'll try it with the feet tomorrow morning.
  14. thedudebrah

I came up with a solution. I put the feet back on the head, centered it in the base and then pushed it down making sure the feet left nice impressions. Then I took a knife and made an X across the impressions of the feet and put the amp back on the base. The feet slip into little holes in the foam now and the head feels super secure in the base. I even have room for my cables and tuner on top.
  15. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all.

i have a lift-top roadcase, and I leave the feet on, and it fits fine in the case.

Thing got dropped like 4 ft in that case once (last Friday the 13, ironically - in June or July)

took it out and fired it right up.

When I take it out and sit it on my 412 or 810, it fits right in the holes. perfect.