1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Amps Mesa M-Pulse and M6

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JerryD, Dec 20, 2012.

1. JerryD

JerryD Supporting Member

I have not found a M-Pulse 600 to play local but I do own and play a M6 and play it into a 212 or 15.

I have located a new M-Pulse 600 with the 5 button footswitch and I would like to know how the M-Pulse 600 sounds compaired to the M6.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Thanks
    Jerry D

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

A late model M-pulse 600 has been my main gigging amp for more than 2 years - before I bought it, I *thought* I wanted an M9 Carbine... So, I tried an M9 out, and really didn't think it had anything to offer me that I couldn't already get with the 700rb-II I already had...

In short, the Carbines are quick and clean like a typical SS amp - also powerful, and capable of putting out alot of low end... The M-pulse 600 is much warmer and very "tubey" sounding - and is also powerful and capable of putting out alot of low end... Both have great EQing ability - but I feel the semi-para EQ on the M-p 600 has greater capabilities than the graphic EQ on the Carbine... I prefer the sound and feature set of the M-p 600 over the Carbine... One thing to consider is that the M-p 600 is no longer in production - whereas the Carbines will be readily available for quite awhile it seems... Both are dependable amps that have Mesa's excellent CS behind them...

- georgestrings

3. JerryD

JerryD Supporting Member

Thanks Georgestrings

anybody else????????

4. KJung

KJung

Basically, +1 to George. To add a bit more (I've owned the MPulse600 and have had quite a bit of time with the M6), I describe the M6 as the 'Mesa for those who don't like Mesa'. As you know from owning one, it is very hi fi, VERY aggressive in the uppper mids and treble, very little 'tube compexity, and it has a super wide, deep, low end. Very 'modern' slamming head.

The MPulse600 is among the most 'tubey' hybrids ever produced (IMO and IME), using 'tubey' as we often use it on TB to describe the very warm, fat, pillowy, low end, the nice harmonic complexity and warmth in the midrange, and the nice, organic, warm lower treble top end.

These two heads are on the opposite end of the tonal spectrum for me. Both ended up being a bit too extreme for me personally, but that is just an 'IMO/tone goal thing'.

I didn't feel the MP600 slammed quite as hard as the M6, but that could be partly due to the more relaxed voicing of the MPulse.

The MPulse600 will 'overdrive', but IMO that isn't really what it is about. Somewhat similar to the Genz Streamliner (although it has more low end extension, compressor, and more powerful EQ) it seems to be designed with a 'clean tube tone' in mind.

If you like it aggressive, deep, 'quick feeling' and solid state sounding, the M6 is pretty amazing. If you want it as fat and organic as you can get without buying a 75 pound all tube head, the MPulse600 is at or close to the top of the list of hybrids IMO.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Just wanted to +1 the above descriptions. I own one of each, though the smaller versions of both, (Walkabout and M3 Carbine). Spot-on descriptions of how different these 2 amps are. I use the Walkabout, which is the baby in the MPulse line, for bass guitar, as it provides exactly that warm pillowy tone KJung described, and that's MY tonal pref for bass. I use the Carbine with keyboard synthesizers, as it's much more hi-fi and uncolored, like a PA system, which works great with synth. Both are top-notch amps, and quite versatile in their own right, but so far apart tonally as to not seem like they should both be Boogies.

7. willsellout

willsellout

If you like one you might not like the other. very different heads. +1 to everything that has been said.

8. JerryD

JerryD Supporting Member

Thanks everybody for you input and some good stuff.

RICKENBOOGIE:

I just saw that you are using Aguilar cabinets too with you mesa heads.

I really like the M6 and Aguilar DB115 in a practice room without other players. I am sure I will have to change things up in a live band. This is how I have the M6 set Voice on 2 Bass=12 o'clock mids 10 and treble 2 o'clock. This is with a Modulas Q6 with Barts.

JerryD

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Yeah, I love the DB series cabs. If anything, to make you louder with the single cab, cut the bass to 10 o clock, and push the mids up some. The selector switch has a couple of mid boost positions, I'd use that too. Also, when possible, if you add another DB115 to what you have, you will get alot more out it- you'll be amazed. Enjoy the rig!

10. JerryD

JerryD Supporting Member

RICKENBOOGIE:

I am curious how much difference the MP600 would sound (as compaired to the M6) with the DB115?

11. JerryD

JerryD Supporting Member

I just pulled the trigger on a new MPulse600 from a authorized Mesa dealer that he was closing out. I will now have 2 mesa amps.

Thanks

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nothing wrong with that - let us know what you think of it...

- georgestrings

13. KJung

KJung

Nice. That should give you a VERY nice 'modern meets vintage' tone with that tight, punchy DB cab. Just like all tube heads, the few micro's that are voiced to mimic all tube heads like the MPulse600 and Streamliner really (IMO) benefit from a cab that kind of vibes a sealed multi-10 cab, and the DB line of cabs are great for that.