An attempt at commitment

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gopherbassist, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

My whole life, I haven't finished many things. Usually, they're not compelling to me, and I lose interest. One of the most difficult things in my life has been to find any satisfaction, great or small, in the things that I do.

Playing bass has been one of those things. I've played off and on for the last 8 years. The difference is though, that even though it's not satisfying, it makes me feel good. In fact, sometimes when I'm feeling bad,it's the only thing that makes me feel better.

For the last year I've been working a job that now seems to be unsure. Things are happening in the office that I can't really interpret.

So, I've come to the conclusion that if things turn bad, I don't think I'll try to find another serious job. I've felt that my dedication to my current job has been unappreciated. I don't think I'm ready to jump from the stress of one career type job to another, so if it all collapses I've decided to just dedicate my life to music.

I never did so in the past because I never felt like I was any good, but I've now reached the point that it doesn't matter. I'm going to be able to say that I at least tried to make my life something enjoyable.

I don't assume any of you care about this, but for some reason I feel compelled to share it with an audience that might relate. If you have thoughts or comments, please share them.
  2. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Give Me Chocolate! Gold Supporting Member

To me this sounds pretty familiar. It could be adult ADD.
  3. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

I think it has more to do with depression. I was diagnosed with ADD as a kid, but it was kind of a fad for doctors at the time.
  4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

By doing music, do you mean you plan to teach it, do theater work, do recording gigs, become a hired gun, get into audio engineering, get into production, play in a band, or what?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

My main goal will just be to learn as much about my instrument as I can. I've thought about supporting myself by traching once I have the skill to do so.
  7. fmoore200

fmoore200

Teaching an instrument is easy. The secret is to stay one lesson ahead of the student :D

But seriously, I hope everything works out for you. Everybody deserves a chance to be happy
  8. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I can relate a bit. I always wanted to play music as a pro and as a young teen I had those rockstar dreams I am sure a lot of us had at one point. As I got older like 18 or 19 I realized how hard it was to have a stable band without people jumping ship and my dad told me to go to college, have a backup plan so I did. I graduated with my bachelors a year ago and busted ass applying at hundreds of jobs all over and nothing happened. I worked retail, I made $9 a hour and 7 or 8 months into this post college life I said screw this. I put in my 2 week notice, sold every item I owned except my car, 2 basses and loaded my car up. I didn't even have a suitcase, just garbage bags full of stuff. I left Oregon and drove to Hollywood, I found a room to rent on craigslist etc. This was December 2nd that I got here and I already have a few potential jobs lined up that are music related and I auditioned for a band with a modest following, 15,000 FB likes, pro recordings , music videos, has a manager, been featured on MTV shows and all that and I got the gig.

It hasn't been cake here but its panning out so much better then what I had in Oregon. Although I don't expect to be anything famous I do see a strong potential in playing music on a semi pro level down here a few years and that's all I really want.

If its what you want to do , then you got to do it otherwise it will just eat at you, it did with me at least.
  9. Monster Truck

Monster Truck

Almost everyone I know feels like that.
  10. Ironbar

Ironbar

Uhhhhh..........what???
  11. Ironbar

Ironbar

And just so you know, ALL jobs, and I mean that in all sincerity- EVERY ONE OF THEM, are like that. It doesn't matter who you work for or how long you've been there, managers are pre-programmed to not give a rats ass about you or anyone else. It's in their genetic makeup. I'd suggest sticking with it so you don't wind up in your 50's and still living in your mom's basement.
  12. ()smoke()

()smoke()

not all jobs are like that

13. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

+1
  14. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

No, they're not. I've had bosses that thanked me for the hard work I did and told me they appreciated it.
  15. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

If you don't mind... So I can better judge you, how old are you? Do you live on your own? I'm just trying to get a better idea of the scenario.
  16. Vcell

Vcell

I've been lucky that I never had dreams of rock-stardom. I just always wanted to be around music, in any way possible.

I've been behind the mic, setting the groove, behind the board, painting sets, promoting acts, teaching the newbs, whatever. I just want to be around it. Music is a runaway train, and the bass is its engine.

I hope you find what you're looking for. Enjoy.
  17. Webskipper

Webskipper Supporting Member

We do care.

If there was one thing you want to do, paid or not, what would it be?
  18. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Write music that makes people dance.

Also, learn as many techniques as I can.
  19. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

My dad taught me at a very early age that if you expect any more from a job than a days pay for a days work you will always be disappointed.

His reasoning was if you work for someone else for anything but the money, you are selling yourself short.

In a nutshell, WHOGAS if your employer (who profits off your work), appreciates you? As long as they are justly compensating you for the time you give them, what more do you want? An attaboy?

Long term employment is no more than a means to an end. That end being the ability to meet your financial obligations. If you read any more than that in to it, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Please don't get me wrong, making a living out of music is not that much different than any other self employment. As long as you are willing to never stop hustling and always be closing, along with a healthy dose of good luck and better than average people skills, and you can make a decent living. Since self employment is a numbers game as much as anything else, it always works better in large population centers for no other reason than more opportunities, but it's a double edged sword because you will also face more competition.

If you are young enough to try it for a few year and still be able to start over, it can be a lot of fun and a big adventure, even if it fails to pan out, but if you are at an age where you can see the end and you are starting from scratch, it will be more a grim exercise in playing constant catch up and could well turn into a grind.

Last of all, take if from hard earned personal experience, if you want to learn to hate a beloved hobby start doing it for a living. Doing something you want on your time table is fun, doing it on demand (and full time on a deadline), becomes the same situation you are leaving, just another means to an end. Not saying it can't be done, but it's rare to find someone doing something for a living (and happy) they'd be doing for free if they had some other way to earn.

My dad was a pilot because he loved to fly and had he not done it for a living he would have spent a lot of money doing it for recreation. But he's one of a handful of people I know who made their passion a career and managed to never lose the thrill or enjoyment of doing it every day.
  20. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

I work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, away from my home and loved ones for two weeks at a time or more, and at the end of each of these cycles my boss expects me to be happy with two days off. And they often ask me to come back to work a day early.

I get attaboys when I do halfassed, crappy work, and get chewed out when I work hard to do things right.

What I want from my employer is for them to listen when I tell them the cost free things that I need to work more efficiently, not to be told I've done a good job.

My employer wants my entire life, doesn't pay me much for it, and there is no place to advance to. And the little money I do earn I have no time to build a life with.
  21. Skeeter1

Skeeter1

Employers will pay the least amount of money they have to get someone to do the job. About half my friends work in oil business 2 weeks on(away) 2weeks off. But they are compensated well for that sacrifice and the level of danger of their jobs. If the company they work for has a pay cut then there are 4-5 other companies in the area that will match their salaries or give them a little bump because of their skillet and experience. If a company starts cutting into their off time, well there are 4-5 more that don't and all have positions to fill.

I think the secret is skills. You have to ask yourself can my employer find anyone of the street that can do this job with a weeks training? If the answer is yes then you are in a low wage earning position(absolutely nothing wrong with that, I have workedis some manny of these jobs while in school). Get all the education you can, find an industry that relies on the skill of its employees and get all the certifications and training you, be someone that has an air of competence and expertise then job offers come to you.

But if your young and want to play bass simi pro then now is the time to do it.

Just don't look for appreciation. Because at your gigs there will be some bedroom rockstar in the crowd thinking you suck