1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

An Indonesian bass ending my GAS????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by songwriter21, Nov 26, 2013.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 Bassist for Chris Higbee Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sponsored by Gallien-Krueger
  2. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

Don't get hung up on country of manufacture. Play what you like and what feels right.

Not all import basses are crap, and not all US made basses are spectacular.

3. Maz

Maz

I hear you brother. I have an Indonesian BTB that is damn near flawless. Cured my GAS for about a year..

4. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Good basses are coming out of everywhere these days. CNC machines can do a fine job anywhere as long as the raw materials are good. GIGO.

I have a Sterling Ray 35 fron Indonesia that couldn't be nicer in any way.

Just enjoy.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. remainthesame

remainthesame

BTB has cured my gas for basses. ive moved on to searching for the perfect amp now. congrats on the new bass!

7. Batmensch

Batmensch

Exactly. I have two Indonesian Squiers, and one of them, the VM P, is my current favorite bass, even over my MIA Jazz, which is inarguably the best made bass I ever had my hands on. That's not to say the Squier is not well built, it is, I simply prefer it to the Jazz, despite it only costing less than a quarter of what the Jazz did.

8. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I just bought this as a "beater" to keep at work. A Squier VM Precision, made in Indonesia. It is really way to nice to be called a beater. Great QC, it is a excellent bass, the price is irrelevant. [​IMG]

9. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

What Gus said..... I agree 10000%.

Even those basses which come out of the SAME factory are the same quality....(meaning some brands are more quality conscious than others etc.)

10. awilkie84

awilkie84

There's a local guy who comes to our jams at the local bar. He brings a german Warwick Thumb with him. One day, he saw me playing my Spector ReBop 5DLX. He asked to try it out. I agreed & he went up on stage. He picked it up & put it on, then read the "Made in Czech Republic" print on the back of the headstock. He took the bass off & picked up his Warwick. :rollno: Hadn't even put his hand on the board or played a note...just looked at the tag. *sigh*

The same guy asked me about my Classic 50s P-bass when I was selling it, but declined to offer because it was an MIM. Hadn't even seen/heard/felt it. The same goes for my Ibby BTB 6 string. He passed because it wasn't MIJ. such a gear snob...but he missed out on playing 3 fantastic instruments. :hyper:

11. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

Country of manufacture is irrelevant, as is price, as is the company that manufactures it. A bass can be good, or bad, or just ok. If you have a great one, that is fantastic - enjoy it!!!

As for the snob mentioned above with the Warwick, he most certainly is missing out - back when I had both a German Warwick Thumb and a Squier Jazz VM, they battled for playing time. Each had their pros and cons, all of which had nothing to do with where they were made.

12. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

My conklin groove tools bass was made in Indonesia or Korea or somewhere. Put a new pre in it and its a beast. I like it just as much as any of the 4 German warwicks I've owned. Bought my gt7 used for $700 plus a few hundred for the pre and labor and i think it was a fantastic deal considering it can hang with basses i spent more than double that on.

13. Nobody

Nobody

I've had my made in Indonesia Ibanez for almost four years and it has been my only bass that entire time. I've wanted other basses in that time but not enough to do anything about it. So I still have gas pains but they are under control.
    :)

14. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I agree with some of the posts here.. it doesn't matter where the bass is made, quality control of the manufacturer is the determining factor. Just as a reference, wood carvers in Indonesia are amongst the best in the world (yes, even better than the Germans or the Japanese) - so it's not like they don't know a thing or two about wood in Indonesia. Manufacturers are the ones that set the standard of foreign made guitars and basses and who they hire at these factories, so quality is going to obviously vary- I've noticed though that quality in general has improved greatly for the Indonesian instruments- new machinery, more experienced hires?

Take a gander at some of these carved guitars in Indonesia.
    http://www.guitarcarving.com/guitar/contemplator-series

15. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    That's some of the most ignorant nonsense I've ever heard...and apparently that guy's geographical knowledge is pretty miserable too ;)