An Inspiring MLK Quote

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Duuuuuuuuuude, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

An excerpt from Martin Luther King's Acceptance Speech, on the occasion of the award of the Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo, December 10, 1964

"I refuse to accept despair as the final response to the ambiguities of history. I refuse to accept the idea that the "isness" of man's present nature makes him morally incapable of reaching up for the eternal "oughtness" that forever confronts him. I refuse to accept the idea that man is mere flotsom and jetsom in the river of life, unable to influence the unfolding events which surround him. I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality.

I refuse to accept the cynical notion that nation after nation must spiral down a militaristic stairway into the hell of thermonuclear destruction. I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right temporarily defeated is stronger than evil triumphant. I believe that even amid today's mortar bursts and whining bullets, there is still hope for a brighter tomorrow. I believe that wounded justice, lying prostrate on the blood-flowing streets of our nations, can be lifted from this dust of shame to reign supreme among the children of men. I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for their minds, and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits. I believe that what self-centered men have torn down men other-centered can build up. I still believe that one day mankind will bow before the altars of God and be crowned triumphant over war and bloodshed, and nonviolent redemptive good will proclaim the rule of the land. 'And the lion and the lamb shall lie down together and every man shall sit under his own vine and fig tree and none shall be afraid.' I still believe that We Shall overcome!

This faith can give us courage to face the uncertainties of the future. It will give our tired feet new strength as we continue our forward stride toward the city of freedom. When our days become dreary with low-hovering clouds and our nights become darker than a thousand midnights, we will know that we are living in the creative turmoil of a genuine civilization struggling to be born."​

Read the full speech here.
  2. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

Beautiful. Thank you.
  3. zachoff

zachoff

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
  4. bassinplace

bassinplace

A beautiful message. A tad idealistic, me thinks, but beautiful nonetheless. MLK's faith was certainly much stronger than mine. I think he was right on the money in principle, but in reality I'm not so sure. At least not in our lifetimes anyway. I'd love nothing more than to be completely wrong about that.
  5. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

I hear what you're saying. I think we need people like MLK who take a stand 10 steps ahead as a bellwether. To inspire us to be better than we think we are
  6. mellowinman

mellowinman Not a Clique Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This is correct.
  7. bassinplace

bassinplace

MLK was a great man, no doubt, but when it comes to personally being inspired by prophetic musings, I'm more of a Perry Farrell, George Clinton or George Carlin man myself. I feel like their ruminations ring truer to my own personal aspirations. One of my personal favorites;

Ocean Size by Jane's Addiction

Wish I was ocean size
    They cannot move you
    No one tries
    No one pulls you
    Out from your hole
    Like a tooth aching a jawbone
    I was made with a heart of stone
    To be broken
    With one hard blow
    I see the ocean
    Break on the shore
    Come together with no harm done
    It ain't easy living...
    I want to be
    As deep
    As the ocean
    Mother ocean
    Some people tell me
    Home is in the sky
    In the sky lives a spy
    I want to be more like the ocean
    No talking
    All action....
    No talking
    All action....
  8. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

When I'm looking for MLK inspiration I go to Boondocks.
  9. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Well said.
  10. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

....go on.....
  11. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Give Me Chocolate! Gold Supporting Member

Could be "interesting"... :eyebrow:
  12. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

BR's posted before that he likes Boondocks, which is a very funny show. Though a bit too much for me. So now I'm just genuinely curious why he chooses The Boondocks to get his MLK fix, cuz it ain't quite jivin to me :confused:
  13. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Give Me Chocolate! Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I quite like the show myself. But the connection to MLK seems like a liiittle bit of a stretch...
  14. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

I think idealism is very important, as it casts a hand into the darkness beyond. There may be a handhold there, there may not. But what is important is that someone reaches.
  15. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

What an awesome man.
  16. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Comparing MLK to Carlin and Janes Addiction? Hookay.

Tad idealistic? Show me an activist that isn't idealistic.

Great words that were hoped to inspire people to "Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
  17. bassinplace

bassinplace

Not comparing the two. MLK's ideas were far loftier obviously and an admirable goal for anyone. I'm talking about what speaks to me on a more immediate level from a personal point of view because it sounds more realistic to me. Just sharing a personal preference on what I find inspirational, nothing more or less.
  18. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Mr. McGrudder not only has the show but he had a strip using a similar setup.

I believe he also worked on Birth of a Nation. A graphic novel about East St. Louis succeeding from the union.

He is also the only individual I know that had the TF to bring Marty back form the dead and allow him a chance to comment on the present state of this.

I'm sure everyone who watched the show remembers the MLK speech. A rousing commentary on today's world.