An Interesting Jazz-From-Scratch Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SurferJoe46, Dec 15, 2010.

1. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

Don't know if this guy has ever been posted here before or not, but I just discovered it and think it might be interesting to read and look at.

If you get through all the [DEL]voodoo[/DEL] over-the-top concern about tones and finding sweet spots to locate the bridge for the bestest tone, this is very interesting to look at.

This guy - although he's very [DEL]concerned[/DEL] consumed with [DEL]stray gamma rays[/DEL] things affecting the wood tone, and uses tuning forks to qualify the wood for a slab body - is quite thorough in the documentation of his work, design and ethics:::

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/169606-1960-jazzbass-build.html

This series of pixs shows him making his own truss rod and nut too (follow the link and see them all :::

[​IMG]

He's very thorough, like I say and this is some great documentation! The only thing I never noticed in his post is if he actually went and cut the trees himself. Everything else is just being righteously done!

I'm not into the tone-wood theories, but readily concede his building skills and attitude. He is making custom guitars and if someone wants to pay for them, more power to all parties concerned.

This is 'way over what I'd spend for a bass though - and that's just my attitude.

2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I want some of what he's smokin'.

3. Meatrus

Meatrus

Very detailed, thanks for posting it. Makes me laugh how he took so much time over ensuring the wood had the best tone... then put mutes on the strings! Very cool build though (personally would still have preferred to see something original!).

4. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

I saw this guy's builds before, very detailed process. I like it, although I don't agree with the wood voodoo he believes in. TDPRI is fun like that.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

whatever keeps ya off the streets!
    it was a very nice clean build; it kills me that so much attention to detail (something that im sure even pre cbs fender didnt get into) and then slap on fender chrome covers; someone couldve made some blanks/personalized ashtrays in the same time as forkin the body;
    but still; this would be an interested dude to spend an afternoon with!

7. ThaLowEndTheory

ThaLowEndTheory

He is an amazing builder, and super nice guy also. I'd love to have one of his instruments. I don't care what it is.

8. Meatrus

Meatrus

Definitely a +1, the bass seems perfect in a technical way, but it seems sensitivity cant be gained by practice. Wish him all the best and sure he will get on well though.

9. bassingeorge

bassingeorge

I'm so obsessed with his bass builds! They are SOOOOO detailed and correct!
    The guys name is Gil Yaron...He's from Israel. His G**tar builds are awesome too!
    I did some research to see how much it'll cost to build one jazz bass.....$5200 base price!

I think it's a lot! Just because I don't have that kind of money to my disposal...But if I had that money to burn I would let him build me one! They are just SO accurate!

10. Grant Bass

Grant Bass

accurate in HIS execution, yes.

11. bassingeorge

bassingeorge

IMHO if you want a 100% accurate 1960-1961 jazz bass...just get the real deal....But c'mon this guy is pulling it at about 90% easily! :)

12. teonigil

teonigil

They're much less than 5200...

13. bassingeorge

bassingeorge

Base Prices, basic N.O.S. (non relic) basses, inclusive of shipping and duty:
    - 50's 60's P-Bass: USD $5100
    - 60's JazzBass: USD $5250

I took this from the US dealer...:bag:

14. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

15. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Disclosures:
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    The US dealer would obviously have a margin, it may be much cheaper if you go straight through the builder

16. bassingeorge

bassingeorge

I wonder....what do you mean by cheaper? any idea what they're worth directly from this guy? :smug:

Any how....it's a lot of money for a jazz copy :meh:

17. KingRazor

KingRazor

Was looking all over for this thread.

Anyone else curious where he managed to get such light weight wood for this build? Or is that not a big deal?

I'm interested in trying to procure some of that super-light maple.

18. trayner1

trayner1

Kind of makes me look at my current in-progress build and feel like I have no idea what I'm doing...

19. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I found the extent he goes to to be accurate compelling. Wrapping and oiling his own capacitors? Holy Cow, that is dedicated. the only thing I didn't like was the baseball bat neck cut with a roundover, and touched up with a R.O. sander.. That was bizarre to me, taking all that time on everything else and the neck was an afterthought basically. Still a cool thread to read through.

20. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

21. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

$5200 for an alder jazz bass, just because the guy checked the wood with a couple tuning forks and built it just like they did in the late 50's early 60's. I think Ill pass.

That being said, he does great work