1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

An old West is new again

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by LongHairFreak, Nov 27, 2013.

1. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Supporting The Gold Gold Supporting Member

Finally got my West Fillmore ('70-'72) back from Savage Audio. Man! Does it kick!!
    The 40+yo wood cabinet was falling apart, so now it has new wood &a new design to maximize safety and ventilation (a compromise btwn what I wanted and my tech felt the amp needed). I'm told the general box design, the deep green Tolex, along w/the black grill and DAKAWARE chicken head knobs, gives this amp a very cool/good look.

The amp also needed a retubing; so it's now holding four new JJ 6550 bottles. Got to say folks, I've not known it to sound this awesome.

The best pics I have are in post #7.

Thanks TB
  2. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Man you're a bigger tease than my girlfriend in High School :) I need to see big pictures of that amp front and back sir please.
  3. LongHairFreak

Sorry man. I can't see pics. Are they really little?
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not really, but I can't see it at all in your avatar, and it could be bigger in your profile pic.
  5. LongHairFreak

Hey Man, here are the 2 photos you asked me to upload. They are a little blurry.

Attached Files:

6. LongHairFreak

(Thanks Man)
    There you go fellow TBers; the previous post has two of the best of what I've got at this time. (One bandmate made the shots and another posted them). Not sure exactly what you're all seeing in the pics, so if you've any questions, just ask.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Very cool! Looks almost new from those pics. Crank that puppy and have fun!
  8. johnpbass

johnpbass

NICE!!!
    tech did a super job on that amp.
    The pics bring back fond memories of seeing and HEARING GFR and their West amps back at the old Spectrum in Philadelphia.
  9. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've never seen, nor heard of these.
    That looks like it came out great; enjoy yo-sef!
  10. Edword

Edword

11. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    The first concert that i ever saw was Grand Funk... at Madison Square Garden in Dec 1971,, I think i was 12 or 13 years old... They had quite a few WEST amps..... My buddy on long island that now plays with pink floyd and dave gilmore has one of the West bass amps... I think it had EL34 or 6550s tubes... Not real sure what tubes are in his... but interesting.... his is all original it has great big HUGE knobs...
  12. Bowe

Bowe

Sweet!! Looks like some quality work from your tech, would love to hear that rig in action.
  13. LongHairFreak

I wasn't quite so lucky as to see them then. I did get to see the original trio some 10/15 years ago though.

It's my understanding 6550 is the original tubing; but, I've been wrong before. This one did have large knobs, but I couldn't tell their settings unless I felt for the set screw. Thought about large 'oven style' knobs, but in the end, 'chicken heads' are the easiest to feel w/a glance of my fingers; and these were the best I could find.

14. LongHairFreak

Thanks for the compliments everybody! I should clarify though; my tech (Savage Audio) doesn't actually do the building/covering of their cabinet work; they sub-contract it...and yes, that guy does great work.

As soon as we get a good recording w/this onstage, I'm sure they'll be posted. I know...I know... It's not the same as actually being there, experiencing me and Crooked Dice 'LIVE', but I'm sure you guys'll get over it.
  15. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Really, really enjoyed that track and tone!! Thanks for the link, I forwarded it along to my drummer.

That bass sound is just so pillowy fat tube saturated warmth in a bottle wrapped in a velvet bag!!

Weird bass too! Looks like a P bass but with a huge Gibson humbucker in the same spot where the P pickup would go.
  16. Basshappi

Basshappi

Wow, I haven't seen a West for a very long time and never had a chance to play through one.

Instant GFR!

That one looks fantastic, congrats!
  17. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    you are more likely correct with the 6550s..
    The original knobs IIRC were like large 2 inch Diameter Jazz bass knobs with aluminum insert disc in the center
    Real cool amp that you have there..

w
  18. johnpbass

johnpbass

Here's an interesting GFR note of trivia: Mel S. back in those days was a super skinny guy. His West amps put out so much SPL (I recall him using 8 15s in his live rig) that when he would move back to a spot on stage right in front of his amp, his body would vibrate to the point of becoming blurry to people in the first couple of rows.
    I've seen them probably 10 times in concert and several times from the front row, but never actually observed this myself:D, Many others have sworn they saw this occur though.
  19. LongHairFreak

Hmmm. It's my understanding they really blasted it out back then, but I'm still a mite skeptical.
    Maybe those folk who saw such a phenomena were...I don't know...self-medicated??
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Obviously they were tripping ;) But it's entirely possible that his clothes were rippling.