An Overview Of Pink Floyd's 29-year career (Your opinions)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

My personal verdict:
    Barrett Period(PATGOD to SFOS): Very Good and different from anything else they did; But IMO you cannot compare it to their later greatness.
    Waters Period (SFOS to the Wall*):The best music ever created, the music that they are famous for, the music so many of us love, made possible by the synergy between Gilmour, Waters, Wright, and Mason. Classics; every one of them!

Gilmour Period (MLoR and TDB): After Roger quit in 1985, the band sort of fell apart: These last 2 albums pale in comparison with the masterpieces they made with Waters, and, as such- not to mention that A Momentary Lapse of Reason was as much a David Gilmour solo album as The Final cut was a Roger Waters album- are, IMO, mediocre overall, the one exception being the
    gem that we know as High Hopes.

* I have omitted the Final Cut because, aside from a few guitar solos from David Gilmour- and vocals on "Not Now John"- it is, essentially, a Roger Waters solo album.
  2. Caustic Crunch

Caustic Crunch

Gilmour Period = Pink Fraud
  3. bswag

bswag Not a Real Bass Player Supporting Member

Last PF album I really like is "Soundtrack from the film 'More.'" I certainly don't hate their "classics," but I've heard them so very often (without ever actually owning any of them!) that I really can't hear them anymore, if that makes sense.
    Maybe if that stuff went away for a while, I could hear it again!
    I guess all in all their very first rec. made the biggest impression. Swiping the title from one of my childhood-favorite books was a big plus.
  4. mellowinman

mellowinman Unmanageable Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Saucerful of Secrets - Atom Heart Mother = Experimental period; finding their groove. Lots of great stuff; lots of lame, overlong stuff as well. I'm fond of this music, but it's not consistent.

Meddle - The Wall = One of the most creative and artistic periods of any band in the history of rock music. Unbelievable quality. Meddle and Obscured by Clouds are both top notch albums, and DSOTM, WYWH are both works of art. Animals was a nice step in a new direction, and also brilliant, and the Wall is maybe the best concept album ever done by any band.

After that?

Who cares?
  5. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I would say that I mostly agree, but I'll add that "On the Turning Away" is an excellent song in the Gilmour period.
  6. JLY

JLY Supporting Member

West Grove Pa via the Northside of the 'Burg!
    Gilmore is a incredible guitarist but Waters was the creator of the music thAt showcases Gilmours ability. Similar to Lennon and McCartney...they both created great music individually, but nothing to the level they did together
  7. ZenG

ZenG

All in all I'm just another brick in the wall...

At the time I did not know that.
  8. The Davil

The Davil

Agree with most of the sentiment here.

Always thought the name of the album should have been "A Momentary Lapse of Income".
  9. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
    In all fairness, I saw the Waterless band in concert sometime in the eighties. I missed Roger's unique voice, but if it had been a choice of Waterless Pink Floyd live or NO Pink Floyd live, well it was an obvious choice, as I had never seen them live, and that was a darn fine show.

Now songwriting, on the other hand...
  10. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

They became better songwriters with every new album. One's I like:

Piper At the Gates
    Meddle
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Wish You Were Here
    Animals

Some of The Wall was great, but there's too much pop disco stuff.
  11. sound of bass

sound of bass

The radio stations here in my tiny part of Pa. have a nasty habit of ruining bands / songs for me. Sadly PF is one of them. I change the channel as soon as I hear it....and if I hear another Fleetwood Mac tune by the way, Im going to puke! But, as you said, maybe time away from PF would help. Too many good bands that Im just tired of hearing!
  12. powderfinger

powderfinger

When I was a kid in college and stoned all the time, I loved the Syd Barrett era of PF. When I got a little older, and clearer headed, I was like, this is some silly garbage. Syd is over-rated, and quite frankly, not that great.

Favorite album is Wish You Were Here. Esp. love Have A Cigar with Roy Harper on vocals. Oh by the way, which one's Pink! The Gilmour era of PF wasn't so bad. I loved MLOR. On The Turning Away was a beautiful song. One Slip, while probably the dumbest lyrics Gilmour ever wrote, is a catchy song.. in an 80s kinda way.
  13. blue4

blue4

I have always found something to love about all the different PF albums.

Syd era- Probably my least favorite. I grew up to far away from that era to totally "get" that stuff. Plinky plunky noises without the drugs is just plunky noises.

Waters, Gilmour, Wright era- Meddle, DSOTM, WYWH, and so on.. Finest music around. Never gets old

Waters with some help from the others sometimes era- Still good. Animals, the Wall great stuff. I loved the music on Animals, but those lyrics based on Animal Farm? He could have done better. Wall was awesome. Final cut just blew chunks except for Not Now John.

Gilmour era- 3rd best. Weaker albums that did contain some great songs, but lacked a cohesiveness. I would rank Learning to Fly, On the Turning Away, Great day for Freedom, Wearing the Inside Out, and High Hopes up their with their best stuff. I realize I'm in the minority in this, but this is the PF I found first. It's the stuff that was new music in my teens and being played on the radio. They were still a talked about touring band here.

Solo stuff much weaker. Gilmour's is okay, esp his live tours. Both him and Wright were great musicians who could play with anybody, but their songwriting is very hit and miss. Without Waters they put on good shows that had no edge at all.
    It pains me to say that despite Waters being one of my favorite musicians of all time, I can't stand his solo work. He's a fantastic songwriter with great vision, but he needed the other two to make it truly great.
  14. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
    Other three.

Nick Mason contributed more than most people think to that fantastic Floyd sound.
  15. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

I probably rank Pink Floyd albums in the following order (from the ones I listen to most to the ones I listen to least):

Dark Side
    Meddle
    Animals
    Wish You Were Here
    The Wall

I tend to listen to pre-Meddle material from time to time on a song-by-song basis rather than as entire albums. I rarely listen to post-The Wall material.
  16. Marial

Marial Proud Papa Supporting Member

Meddle through Animals. Aside from two, maybe three, songs, The Wall is absolute dreck, in my opinion, but this specific period is simply astounding to me.
  17. markorbit

markorbit

My own preference is the era just before Dark Side (cue Pompeii) but I have no problem with the last two Waters-less albums. As you rightly state, The Division Bell gave us High Hopes which stands alongside anything done before.

The Syd period is one big acid trip which is fine when I'm in the mood for it.

Not overly keen on the Waters stuff when not counter-balanced with enough Gilmour and Wright in there.

Gilmour/Wright is the voice of Floyd for me.
  18. blue4

blue4

The early stuff. By the time of Animals and the Wall he was just reading his parts, laying them down, and then leaving on vacation. I don't mean to downplay his contributions. But he does talk about learning to read music to avoid the tense studio. But I'm just going by what I've read, mostly in the book comfortably numb by Mark Blake.
  19. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm exactly that way with pretty much all classic rock. I wore lots of those LPs out, and the radio stations, cover bands, and commercials have done the rest. But I don't really mind playing most of that stuff occasionally, since for the most part I never learned it back when it was new.

PF? Anything pre-Dark Side, with the ones just before that as my favorites.
  20. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Meh, I wouldn't want to play Roger either. He is a whiny artist type. As much as I love The Wall, David Gilmour's assessment of it is easily the best definition, that it is nothing more than Roger Waters blaming all of his problems on everybody else.

Also, the Final Cut was released as a Pink Floyd album but if you read the back cover it clearly states it is a Roger Water's album performed by Pink Floyd... that is why it sucks and further proving Roger is a total dick.

The Syd era stuff is extremely original and creative but it border lines on noise at times. I get why people would not be into this era, and if you haven't tuned in, turned on, and dropped out, you might not get it.

I personally enjoyed Momentary Lapse of Reason and really enjoyed The Division Bell. I think it is very much the evolution of Pink Floyd.