an unsolicited testimonial

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington' started by nostatic, Sep 14, 2012.

1. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    For anyone on the fence about doing skype lessons...seriously...JUST DO IT. I've been playing stringed instruments for a long time and have done thousands of gigs. I never really got the right training though. After meeting Anthony at camp last year I decided to try and "start over" beginning of this year, studying via skype with Ant. It has been frustrating, humbling, stimulating, and exhilarating all at the same time. Most importantly, things are starting to make sense with the instrument. When I switched from guitar to bass back in '87 I knew that I'd finally found my voice after decades of playing other instruments. But working with Anthony, I now am starting to be able to actually say something meaningful with that voice.

Really. He is that good, and it can change your playing, and by extension, your life. It's never too late to start (I'll be 51 later this month).

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

An unsolicited response:

Todd is a great student!

We all acknowledge that there is a such thing as a bad teacher and I have to admit,...there are a lot of them out there. Most of them doing nothing more than passing in their 'misunderstandings' about music.

But I also want to point out that there are a lot of bad students out there. Actually, most students are bad students. Most lack the discipline it takes to become a great player.

I don't want to get into to much about who I am
    and what I do because that's not important but,...

I have a curriculum. Most people who call themselves teachers don't.

Todd studies with me an hour every week online using Skype. And this is how I see it.

There are 336 half hours in a week. I have him for 2 of those every week. In that I time I clearly and concisely dispense information.

But the 'getting good' doesn't happen in the 2 half hours.

The getting good happens in the 334 remaining half hours in that week.

But in remaining 334 half hours Todd has to be an employee, sleep, gig, eat, be a 'new' husband, be a son, etc,...

So that means that 'getting good' is a time management issue.

Todd is becoming a great musician because he understands this.

Most musicians don't.

And the best music teacher on the planet can't help you if you don't understand it.

So I won't take credit for Todd being good. And I also wouldn't take the blame if he sucked. It's a personal responsibility.

So,...

Todd, thanks for your kind words but,...

You are good because you work your ass off!

Not because your teacher is extremely handsome!!!

peace,
    anthony

3. thehess

thehess

Todd - I want to second your comments. I had my first lesson with Ant last October (I had been playing the bass for a little under a year), and have had semi-regular in-person and Skype lessons since then. Yesterday I was noting down, in my practice journal, all of the things that I had been exposed to/worked on/learned (or started to learn)/was inspired to do in my "freshman" year with Ant. I stopped at six pages.

Ant's points about time management, commitment, discipline all apply. It is about how much you put in, and how focused you are when you are doing the "putting". For me, Ant opened a deeper connection to Music, and an understanding of how much work that requires and deserves. I've missed exits driving while visualizing the notes on my bass, I've been inspired to really listen to and understand multiple genres, I iterate through the major and minor scales before bed. In other words - I love every minute I can work on things, and I continually push to give myself more of that time. Ant is not the only mentor/teacher that I have worked with, but he is the BIG (albeit not tall!) reason why I've come as far as I have in a year, and why I look forward to the lifelong work that it takes to tap into the "infinite field of creative ideas", and deliver them well.

Ant, I look forward to more inspiration and hard work in my "sophomore" year. Do I have to declare a major yet? :)

4. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Again,...

I have to say that Matt is a great student. He's a mature adult with his own successful business. He understand the desire, dedication and discipline that it takes to become better at something. His work ethic is amazing.

I wish I could take credit for Todd's and Matt's growth with bass and music(not just bass). But they both deserve all of the credit for that.

But what I will take credit for is having a curriculum and dispensing that information in an organized way. Maybe I inspire them a little bit too. But people don't really inspire other people. Other people choose to be inspired by people.

I did a lesson with Matt over the weekend at Bass Specialties in Philly. His enthusiasm was infectious. I KNOW that I became a better teacher that day because of the energy and feedback I got from him.

Damn, I love my job!!!!

peace&blessings,
    anthony

5. Register to disable this ad