Analog or Digital Octave when used with Distortion/Fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fuzzbro, Mar 20, 2014.

1. fuzzbro

fuzzbro

hello TB

while i've been loving the hell out of some mean tones of my still current OC-3 + Swollen Pickle, what bugs me is the OC-3's tracking glitches and these weird "dead spots" it finds all over the fret board.

i've been drooling at the Micro POG for a while now, as it would make this problem go away, but i fear that the perfect digital tone may be too sterile.

let's assume i've tried the POG out and the tone didn't do it for me, what would be the next option? i hear placing a booster or a compressor before the octaver can improve tracking. or am i better off swapping the Boss with something that tracks better, like the MXR b.o.d.? or is there another solution? let's hear some.

Thanks in advance
    -fb
  2. David Beers

David Beers

Disclosures:
    Sales, Marketing, Design @ Brimstone Audio
    Check out the new Earthquaker Pitch Bay. It's technically a full harmonizer but it sure sounds good:

http://www.prymaxevintage.com/earthquaker-devices-pitch-bay-polyphonic-harmonizer/?fullSite=1

I am a fan and owner of the POG. It depends on how you play and how you want to use the octave effect... Digital effects usually have an issue with the initial attack of the note. The POG is pretty good about that, but the pitch bay seems like it might track even better.
  3. Swift713

Swift713

The micro POG is great in conjunction with dirt and filter pedals. If you want that analog flavor with great tracking the Line 6 M5 has a great octaver.
  4. David Beers

David Beers

Disclosures:
    Sales, Marketing, Design @ Brimstone Audio

Isn't the line 6 a digital modeler? That's not exactly 'analog flavor.'

A great analog octave pedal is the FoxRox Octron.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jasonmitsch

jasonmitsch

It may just be your bass. Try a new set of strings, set up with slightly higher action, using only the neck pickup, rolling the tone knob off. All these things will improve tracking on any pedal.

Yes the pog and micro pog have the impeccable tracking but also consider that it will also pitch down every fret noise and clank your bass makes. It's not 100% flawless. I switch between IE Subterranea and mxr BOD for my octave down purposes
  7. Swift713

Swift713

I said flavor. The M series has a model of an analog octave pedal that tracks beautifully and sounds like an analog octave rather than a clean digital octave. Best of both worlds kinda thing.
  8. mexMan

mexMan

Soak your amp. That'll make it sound dirty.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Interesting you bring this up. I use an OC-2, and my 09 Precision always glitched like crazy on certain notes that it shouldn't be glitching on. It had a Fender 62 Original pickup in it, but I replaced it 3 weeks ago with one of those new Geezer Butler P's from EMG, and the tracking is greatly improved, believe it or not. Not saying it's the cause in your case, but it was in mine.

Micro Pog's great, too. I've got one and I use it sometimes. Completely different vibe from the OC-2/3. The oct down in an OC-2 is much more fat and synthy, whereas the Micro Pog sounds more string-like. I think the Micro Pog does better with oct up. Gets a little chirpy with artifacts from the oct up translation, but sounded close enough to my 8-string that I ended up selling it. Tracking is pretty much perfect and it does chords as well. Would not call it sterile, but I could see where some might.
  10. Unemploid

Unemploid

i use the mxr bass octave deluxe with the fuzz deluxe. sounds great to me. i've had no problems with the bod. tracks great and is great with a distortion. i'd say definitely try out the bod, because of it's warm sound. pog or bod is the way to go, aguilar octamizer is 3rd.

here is a video of all these octave pedals:

Part 1:
  11. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

I seem to be the only person with OC-2 who doesn't have problems with glitching (except below A).

I would buy the Agi Octamiser if I wanted another octave pedal. Has separate TONE control on direct and -1oct for lots of variation and fine tuning your sound - but hey, I use it for synthy tones.

BOD is sounds and tracks great, but not as 'synthy' IMO so not my pick.
  12. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

I find that I prefer an analoge oct for -1 but I prefer the MicroPog/Pog2 for any oct +1 or 2. I like the synthy sorta glitchy sound of the analog -1. It helps keep me focused on precise technique since it will get more glitchy the sloppier I play. The Micopog/Pog2 tracks anything flawlessly. The bottom line with analog octave pedals usually comes down to technique and picking the right spots to use them.

For -1 octaves I almost always use a Fuzz and an envelope filter for the +1 and +2 octaves I love using modulation and occasionally a touch of grit/distortion/fuzz.

I don't use the octave pedals to sound natural whether I'm want + or -. I use them for a cool sounding effect that I think will serve the song well. YMMV
  13. karla684

karla684

I use the T-Rex Octavius (digital octaver, -1 and +1). An excellent pedal, but quite sterile in its digitalness.

I was eyeing the Aguilar Octamizer as an analogue alternative, but happened to buy the Moog MiniFooger Drive before. The MF Drive is quite thick and synthy OD/distortion, and combined with the T-Rex Octavius I no longer feel I need a separate analogue octaver... for now. :bassist:

Example of Octavius and the MF Drive together (with some envelope):
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  14. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have used both these octaves with other dirts extensively, more so with the OC2, but I did have an OC3 for a bit too, and use to have a mocro POG, and now have a POG2. I liked the way both of them sound with dirt for different reasons and different situations. But I have to say that the POG2 with the Duality fuzz and some modulation sounds SO awesome! But the OC2 sounded really good with my rat king coming out of it, as did my OCD. It all depends on that youre going for. But, if you want the one that is going to track the best, I would go with the POG. As long as you keep the high octave down to a minimal level, it sounds very clean and not so digital. Like a revving engine! :D
  15. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

POG sounds great with dirt and you can get a lot of different tones by placing it either before or after dirt pedals. One of my favourite octaves is actually the octave modeller on the zoom ms50g. You can dial in the amount of "glitch" you want or take it out for almost perfect tracking down to low A. Yeah, it's digital but you can get a really nice, clean octave down and adjust the tone of the octave while your at it. Every analog octaver I've tried has sounded cool when it worked but they all warbled a bit with tracking and threw me off. I wouldn't mind trying the mxr though. Demos have impressed me.
  16. fuzzbro

fuzzbro

woah you guys are active. thank you all for great ideas.
    i'll try the POG as soon as i get my hands on one... which may take a while, but will definitely be before i buy it as i want to know exactly how this will affect my tone. reduced attack might also be an issue.

i see. i did suffer a massive drop in output after getting coated strings, but i can't say i noticed any major change in the way my OC-3 tracks. i normally only use my bridge pup (standard J), would you say me swapping it with a stacked coil might improve the tracking?
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not necessarily.
  18. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

As another user of both types of octave and as stated before each have their tradeoffs.

Analog: usually has a FAT-ter character to it, monophonic and tracking come from technique, set-up, volume going in, possible pre-compression, string type and the nature of that particular pedal

Digital: this usually comes in polyphonic flavors, may warble with more compicated stuff depending on the pedal, this will shift EVERYTHING (note, fret noise,slides). Also if there is no tone control/freq control/filter then it can sound very sterile (which honestly is just VERY clean).

I use a Pearl OC-7 Octaver clone for my analog means and a EHX H.O.G. for my digi-needs. Both have their place (I use my digital post dirt but my analog MUST go first in line for the best tracking).
  19. Unemploid

Unemploid

i say get an octaver that you like to play, listen to, or somes good like your bass. tracking is an issue, but with octavers play with the pedals strengths. the bod doesn't sound too synthy, i like that.

i think what you may need to take into consideration is wether the dirt pedal is digital or not. if i had $30 my friend would sell me the boss bass overdrive. when i get the money, i'll post my opinion of the pedal with the bod here.

their is this black cat ovtave fuzz. it is more radical than synthy.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KmkagvjH3OM