Analyze my ad (looking for band)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by lwknives, Nov 12, 2012.

1. lwknives

lwknives

So im wanting to get out and gig. Ive been playing in a PW band for a while now and I enjoy it but I want to get out and play music for musics sake and put my chops (lol, sure) to some use. :bassist:
    So anywho, Im wanting to put an add out on campus and on craigslist to see if I can find a band.
    If yall could read my add and give me some feedback on it that would be great. :cool:
    Note: this will be after Christmas because I will be working on recording some Christmas music.

This is the add:
    Hello,
    My name is Luke and I am wanting to start giging with a band around the Knoxville, Tn area. Im pretty open to different styles and genres but my preference would be geared more towards blues rock/funk/jazz/metal/prog or anything with a solid organic groovy sound or soaring melodic guitar solos. I play both guitar and bass and would be equally interested in playing either instrument. I would prefer to join a band that has gigs lined up and is currently playing but would be willing to start up a project if the music was right. I would also be interested in doing studio work or fill-ins.
    Most of my experience on guitar has been doing home recording of my original metal songs, playing lead in my churches PW band and fingerstyle acoustic playing. My favorite thing to play on guitar is heavy metal, closely followed by blues, but I would be open to playing just about anything.
    I took up bass about a 2 years ago so i could fill out the bottom end of my recordings, I started playing at church and fell in love with it. I now play bass as much as guitar and have learned slap’n pop, harmonics and other fun bass stuff.
    I am familiar with playing from chord charts and have an understanding of chord structure and scale theory but can not read music or tab on the fly (I can use it to learn songs). Untill recently i have relied strictly on my ears to learn music but am now learning to read (very slowly).
    I am a student at UT majoring in engineering (also working) so my schedule is very full but I can make time for a weekly rehearsal and weekly gig (maybe more if need be). (wed nights are taken due to PW rehearsal). I have my own transportation and can make practices anywhere in the knoxville or maryville area.

Gear List:
    I would consider this professional level gear although I am continually searching for upgrades that add to my versatility as a musician.

Guitar - Schecter Hellraiser C-1.
    Acoustic -Takimini Jasmine.
    Guitar amp - Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 2x12 combo.

Bass - Ibanez BTB 775 (five string).
    Bass amp - Hartke lh1000, 1000 watt amp head.
    Cab - Avatar 2x12 cabinet.

Thanks!

2. lwknives

lwknives

I will of course include contact info.

3. elgecko

elgecko

I HOPE you mean "analyze"!

4. bobbybass85

bobbybass85 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    the ad looks good.

Add is either a math term or my excuse for being on TB at work :bag:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lwknives

lwknives

Well shoot, this is why im in engineering and not English.

7. bobbybass85

bobbybass85 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    no worries, good luck finding the right people too! It can be tough but is worth it if you find great players who are reliable and easy to work with

8. richntiff

richntiff

yes - PLEASE make sure your ad gets 'analyzed' instead of your alternative....

9. lwknives

lwknives

There, that should be more comfortable.

10. bluewine

bluewine Banned

I will catch a lot of heat from tbers for my response, however if I'm going to attempt to help I have to be honest.

Some suggestions:

I think you should be looking at existing bands looking for bass players.

If you post your ad simplify and shorten it. It's to long and I doubt anyone would read it.

You really didn't define what your looking for in a band, covers, originals, gigging play for pay or fun band, guys to jam with?

Question, are there any members of your church band you could start a band with?

What experience do you have in addition to your church band?

Blue

11. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

Way too much info. Drop most of it ... it can be discussed if anyone calls you. Form a list of questions for the band, too ... you're auditioning them as much as they are you.

"Guitar/bass player seeks working band. Into blues rock/funk/jazz/metal/prog or anything with a solid organic groovy sound or soaring melodic guitar solos. Call me ... xxx-xxx-xxxx"

12. lwknives

lwknives

Hey Blue,
    I answered those questions in my ad, (maybe not clearly enough). if I didnt mention it then most likely it doesnt matter to me.

Shortening it may be a good idea, people dont like to read.

I will most likely find a band by searching for one that needs a bass player but I want to put an ad out just to open up more options.

I could prolly start something with some of the church musicians but none of them want to be doing weekly gigs.

The only experience I have outside of PW is home recording (which i mentioned) and a christmas song I did with some friends from church. I dont have any gigging experience.

13. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Hi lwknives,

My bad, your ad specifically states your looking for a gigging band.

It's a good thing you will be looking at existing bands looking for a bass player.

Your church band experience should help. It's good experience and I understand most church bands perform for huge crowds. That's a good selling point.

I still contend that originals bands are more open to bringing on guys that don't have traditional gigging experience. However, originals bands might not provide the gigging your looking for.

blue

14. bolophonic

bolophonic

No way would I read all of that. Make it three lines and do the "get to know you" in-person.

15. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

I agree with the others, too much info. Let them know what you are wanting to do / what you are looking for, what you expect, etc. No need to list all your gear either, just say pro gear, bass and guitar.

16. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Guitarist (who also doubles on bass) looking to join gigging Knoxville band. Prefer genres with solid grooves and/or soaring melodic guitar solos. Willing to join the right start-up project. Also interested in studio work or fill-ins.

Gigging and recording experience. Pro gear and attitude. Reliable transportation. Clips of my playing here. [add inks, natch!]

--Luke

17. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

too long, reads too much like a biography than an ad. you say you are starting a band and one line later say you want to join a band. you have way too many genres listed. I understand you may like all of the stated genres, I like many genres and are open to them too, but many musicians seem to be closed minded.. oh this guy would be great for our jazz ensemble but he likes metal ick no thanks.. I'd state I want to play (x) but am open to other genres. leave your schedule limitations out. state simply that you have gigging experience, pro gear, and are a hard worker. dont list gear..

18. lwknives

lwknives

Thanks for the feedback!
    General consensus seems to be that it is to long and detailed. So I guess ill gust say im a guitar/bass player looking for a gigging band, pro gear, pro attitude, ect.
    I should have a 4 or 5 christmas songs up on youtube here pretty soon maybe a funky groove ive been working on.
    Would I be better off giving a link to my youtube page that has the recordings ive made over the last three years (mostly christmas songs) or offering to send mp3s of my better recording (to long to fit on a youtube video :p)?

19. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

more bullets

link to your site

pix

audio clips

how to contacty

20. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Dont mess with christmas songs... about 1/2 the folks don't like it.. trust me

21. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I agree that it's too long. You use a lot of verbiage spelling out details that amount to saying that you'll do darn near anything.

For instance, your preferred musical genres are "blues rock/funk/jazz/metal/prog ," which is to say pretty much anything except country and classical.

You say you'd prefer an existing gigging band but are up for a startup...

You'd like to join a gigging band but actually you'll take fill-in or session work...

I would just say that you're a flexible guitarist and bassist looking for a gigging band, up for anything, and that you're a student and have gig-worthy gear and transportation. Pretty much says it all.