1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ancient Alien Theorists Rock!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bhunt1, Jan 1, 2014.

1. bhunt1

bhunt1 Supporting Member

The History Channel is running an Ancient Aliens marathon. Here's a list of the top Ancient Alien Theorists (with brief bio exerpts from Wikipedia):

Erich Von Daniken
    [​IMG]
    Erich Anton Paul von Däniken is a Swiss author of several books which make controversial claims about extraterrestrial influences on early human culture, including the best-selling Chariots of the Gods?, published in 1968. Von Däniken is one of the main figures responsible for popularizing the "paleo-contact" and ancient astronauts hypotheses.

Giorgio Tsoukalos
    [​IMG]
    Giorgio A. Tsoukalos (Greek: born March 14, 1978) is a Swiss-born Greek writer, television personality, and proponent of the idea that ancient astronauts interacted with ancient humans. He was the publisher of the now defunct Legendary Times, that featured articles from Erich von Däniken (Chariots of the Gods?), David Hatcher Childress, Peter Fiebag, Robert Bauval, and Luc Bürgin, on the topic of ancient astronauts.
    Tsoukalos has been the director of Erich von Däniken's Center for Ancient Astronaut Research for over 12 years.

David Childress
    [​IMG]
    David Hatcher Childress (born 1957) is an American author and owner of Adventures Unlimited Press, a publishing house established in 1984 specializing in books on unusual topics such as ancient mysteries, unexplained phenomena, alternative history and historical revisionism. His works cover such subjects as pre-Columbian trans-oceanic contact, Atlantis, Lemuria, Ancient astronauts, UFOs, Nikola Tesla, the Knights Templar, lost cities and vimana aircraft.

Michael Cremo
    [​IMG]
    Michael A. Cremo (born July 15, 1948), also known by his devotional name Drutakarmā dāsa, is an American freelance researcher who identifies himself as a Vedic creationist and argues that humans have lived on the earth for billions of years. In case of artifacts allegedly found in the Eocene auriferous gravels of Table Mountain, California and discussed in his book, Forbidden Archeology, Cremo argues for the existence of modern man on Earth as long ago as 30 to 40 million years ago.

David Wilcock
    [​IMG]
    David Wilcock (born March 8, 1973 in Rotterdam, New York) is a New Age lecturer, author, and filmmaker based in Los Angeles, California.Wilcock has appeared on several radio programs, including semi-regular appearances on Coast to Coast AM, and he had a role in the Syfy documentary 2012. He was a proponent of the theory that a large segment of humanity would undergo ascension in the year 2012. He also appeared in several episodes of the History Channel series Ancient Aliens.

Phillip Coppens
    [​IMG]
    Philip Coppens (25 January 1971 – 30 December 2012) was an author, radio host, and commentator whose writings, speeches and television appearances focused on areas of Fringe science and alternative history. From 2010 to 2012, Coppens was a frequent contributor to the History Channel's Ancient Aliens series. Nigerian journalist J.K. Obatala, writing about a month after Coppens' death, described him as an "ancient alien buff."

I don't believe much of their theories, but these guys sure are interesting characters. Whose your fav Ancient Alien Theorist?

2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Definitely Giorgio.

3. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Hair for the win.

4. PWRL

PWRL

I like Von Daniken. I read all those books when I was a kid, after my mom found them all for me at a yard sale. The other guy I like is Graham Hancock.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

I believe that we have been visited by beings from other worlds but some of their ideas is just too much of a stretch for me. Just sayin.

7. ZenG

ZenG

I don't have a "favorite" theorist

They all make some interesting observations....

I would sure like to know what a lot of the crafts spotted flying around are though..

The triangular shaped black craft with lights on it that appears and flies without noise is a staple of sightings these days....

This one has been sighted by thousands in it's various configurations.......

My gut tells me it's an advanced military craft not yet in production

But some of these triangled craft are said to be bigger than a football field

And I don't think we can build one that big secretly yet.....

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

+1

These types of things are fun entertainment, so as long as they aren't regarded as anything more than crackpottery and woo. I put this stuff on the same level as Coast to Coast, A.M.: Good listening on the way home from gigs, but nothing to give serious credence to.

RationalWiki's bio of Erich von Daniken is pretty entertaining: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Erich_von_Daniken

9. P Town

P Town Guest

These guys also have some thoughts about wood, and tone as it applies to solid body electric bass guitars, but they don't talk about it in public for fear of being labeled as crackpots.

10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I think their fables would be a bit more interesting if they had some imagination. I mean, every single story has the same ending - it was the ancient astronauts that did it. It just gets a *little* bit predictable. :)

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

I used to LOVE the whole "ancient aliens" thing when I was a kid.
    I remember a show where they were showing a fossil of a trilobite that looked like it was crushed in a footprint..like some ancient alien stepped on and squished it, it blew my mind.

Now, I can't even bring myself to watch any of those shows for more than like 5 mins... blah

12. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

An alien stegosaur maybe.

Giorgio's style and the uber-exuberance :p he brings to his presentations makes it particularly difficult to take seriously. I mean, a haircut and trash the blow dryer and he may seem at least a little credible.

13. FretNoMore

Media:
    Albums:
    He is an alien hiding in the open.

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Holy crap. Look at these guys. I'm guessing none of them are allowed to live within a couple miles of an elementary school or playground.

And at least two of them drive vans without windows in the back.

15. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

[​IMG]

"George Washington was in a cult, and the cult was into aliens, man."

16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I'm still trying to understand why speculation that some superior being from the vastness of space is somehow responsible for us being here is any less creditable than speculation that some superior being from the vastness of space is somehow responsible for us being here.

One came by technology unimaginable even now and the other came from a virgin birth, also unimaginable even now.

It puts me to mind of the Beta and VHS wars of the 70's. Both did the same thing but only one caught on so it became the "right" method of storing visual data and the other was relegated to quacks and kooks who refused to accept the popular method.

I can't help but thinking of the old saw which says "eat $#!+, billions of flies can't be wrong."

17. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

I won't comment on the theological aspect of your question, but I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with entertaining the idea of extraterrestrial life or even that extraterrestrials have had contact with Earthy humans. The problem, however, is that many of the people who pursue that area of inquiry engage in some very suspect thinking that leads to their conclusions. Tsoukalos once said something along the lines that the only way to disprove the ancient astronaut theory was if the aliens came back and said they were never on Earth. Anyone with the least bit of critical thinking skills or understanding of logic realizes the myriad of problems with that statement.

Carl Sagan actually had an interest in discovering extraterrestrial life, but he realized that such a pursuit required a skeptical mind and a defensible method of inquiry. That's the difference between the ancient alien people and real exobiologists. I know that really wasn't exactly what your comment was about, but I figured someone may come along and wonder why a lot people don't take these guys seriously.

P.s. You could also use USB and FireWire in place of your VHS and Betamax analogy. :D

18. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

I read all the books of Von Daniken's, and many others too. I was (am still) obsessed with the idea of extra terrestrial life.

But these shows, I can't stand those. It almost came to the point of Giorgio Tsoukalos saying "here's a rock, therefore aliens exist!" It became ridiculous at some point.

[​IMG]

19. FretNoMore

Media:
    Albums:
    I definitely believe there is or has been life in one shape or form in more places than Earth, even intelligent life. If you believe in the scientific ideas of how life may have evolved here then those must be true elsewhere too. It's a really long stretch from that to the ancient astronaut theories though.

What is so bad with this show is how they very skillfully mix actual facts with pure fantasy, in a very insidious way that makes it look plausible if you don't think critically. It's insulting, really, makes me almost angry that they succeed in making people believe in these so called theories.

20. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Exactly. This is what I was trying to say, in a much better form. Guess I ran out of English at some point. :p

21. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar

I've read many of the Sitchin books - I think his work as a translator of ancient languages is fascinating. Graham Hancock continues to do important work in rediscovering ancient ruins & cities, etc.
    The bottom line for me is our conventional, accepted view of history is woefully incomplete.