and ANOTHER thing......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AQUANOVA, Dec 12, 2013.

1. AQUANOVA

AQUANOVA Gold Supporting Member

I just remembered something else about my Fender P that is awesome and remarkable.

It just never seems to go out of tune.

No matter how much I bang it around in that flimsy gig bag, it's never really out of tune.

My Lakland is super finicky about temperature change and usually needs a tuning check after an hour of playing.

Not my Fender P.

There is indeed something other worldly about a Fender P.

My Fender P love feelings have been building up again and I just needed to express them.
    I feel better now

Feel free to join the love fest.
  2. FrednBass

FrednBass

3. jaypee

jaypee

4. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

Not sure where this post came from, but I got something to say. :)

I read, and see a lot with people having to re-tune often. Why. I have 3 Squier basses(20012~13year) and 1 ephiphone acoustic, and one electric. I can let any of these guitars alone for months, pick them up and they are still in tune. Once the strings are broken in, I can play as hard as I want, and unless I really stretch a string out, it stays in tune. I've recently decided to learn slap bass on my squier vm jazz 5. I am popping the strings WAY too hard, and still doesn't come out of tune. Humidity from 40% to 90%... Only temp changes are from house to vehicle to gig/practice and back. Never spends overnight in extreme temps.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

I'm glad you have a reliable bass. I can't say the same about my Fender - it has a lot of trouble staying in tune. On the other hand, my two Yammies hold their tuning a little too well. I pulled the BB405 out of its a case after well over a year in hibernation, and it was still in tune, and I hardly ever have to retune my RBX270J, even after transportation. The Yammies have pretty hefty string retainers, so maybe that's a factor (?).

So I can't join the love fest regarding Fender, but I can certainly appreciate a bass that stays in tune.
  7. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

My MIM P bass stays in tune as well.......My Stingray on the other hand, not so much.
  8. K2000

K2000

I can drop my Fender P and it stays in tune… not that I've ever done that...
  9. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Mine is not bad but I would not say that it is as stable as the op seems to be experiencing and to me it is not an issue as all the basses I had in the past were like this also.
  10. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

My Lakland Skyline P is like that...never goes out of tune. So are my Sadowskys.
  11. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

My Affinity P is pretty good about staying in tune. My DB on the other hand can be a real pain in the ass with temperature and humidity changes.
  12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

My old '63 P is very stable. The only shift in tuning is that it goes slightly sharp when sitting and cooled down. When my hands have warmed the strings, they cool and contract slightly while sitting.
  13. ronin614

ronin614

Glad the OP loves his bass. That's what it's all about.
    My American hotroded P used to go out if tune CONSTANTLY. That's why I eventually sold it. Probably should have just swapped out the tuners because I loved it otherwise. My Hohner B2AV headless, on the other hand.....you could throw that thing across a room and it would still be in tune.
  14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

Lots of time the 'tuning' thing is over stated. After you play a bass and its strings are warm, they're slightly looser than when you pick up an instrument 'cold'. Looser strings are lower pitch, cold strings being tighter tend to be higher.

My pre-playing ritual involves rubbing my hands up and down the length of the string a handful of times to bring the temperature up and also dropping them back into pitch before I check my tuning.

Alternately, if it IS cold and I don't have the time, I check to make sure they're slightly sharp so that they fall into tune once I start playing.
  15. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

My experience (living in Massachusetts):

2012 AmStd P: 1/8th truss turn (+-) every 6 months. Will drop one-half semitone in a matter of weeks when the dry weather hits.

2009 Squier 50's P: No truss adjustment. Off by about 1/4 semitone in the same period of time.

2011 Malinoski: Stupid solid. No truss adjustment. No apparent effect from weather/humidity. Stays in tune 24/7/365.

Love all three - they just need to be loved differently.

[Gun to my head? I'm keeping the AmStd P]
  16. VerryBerry

VerryBerry Supporting Member

My experience (and process) exactly.
  17. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

You guys are off topic. We aren't talking about the normal thermal changes in string tension.

:meh:

(edit: maybe I'm off topic)
  18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

(whispers) It's YOU.

Humidity changes neck relief, which of course can change tuning, but it's usually a fairly gradual thing...temperature (which the OP mentioned changes string tension because of the metal of the strings). Have a few guitars that like a seasonal neck tweak to adjust the action because of changes in humidity, but if you're having regular frequent tuning instability beyond slight ups and downs due to temperature:

-You may not be 'stretching' aka seating your strings well when you put them on

-You may not be winding your strings well when you put them on

-You may have a failure in your tuning heads

I've owned a number of stock Fender instruments (70's Precision, 80's and 90's Jazzes, Telecasters, Strats, etc) and they've all be stable tuning instruments. I've also had a number of non Fender instruments that have also been stable.
  19. VerryBerry

VerryBerry Supporting Member

Hey Solarman, maybe you're right.

To clarify, I do the right things to ensure that I restring my bases to eliminate string-to-string tuning instability, as in BurningSkies post. Whatever effects humidity and temperature have on the neck (very slight, by my experience) all strings go sharp or flat by the same amount. IOW, all strings are in tune relative to one another.

One of these is a Fender Am Std P-bass. The others are 2 Peaveys and a Squier P/J.

Guess I lucked out and got good necks on all of them (so far). :)
  20. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

Yeah but how does it compare to the Music Man Stingray in your avatar which is obviously your favorite bass?
  21. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

+1. I have 8 basses, ranging in price range from Rickenbacker to Epiphone, and they all stay in tune remarkably well.