And the P Wins!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love my Bass

My first bass, and current bass, is a Squier Affinity P-bass, as you can see from my avatar and my profile. Because of the frustrations I've had with this particular bass (specifically difficulty with setting the action right), I've always wanted something other than a P-bass, as to me the P-bass felt like a thumpy thuddy machine, which to me felt like the antithesis of what I wanted, which was more along the lines of a Ricky or Spector, something "more prog/metal/progmetal". Jazz bass at least for that Geddy/Tim Commerford vibe. But the P-bass? Nah. Too bassy for metal, I thought.

Well, last band rehearsal we decided to do a short jam off a few riffs the guitarist came up with. We all had fun, and I recorded it in the interest of catching jams and moments of genius that popped up during rehearsals. I went back to the jam the other day, and listened to it. Holy crap. The P sounds amazing! Everything I thought the P did wrong, it was doing right. It was powerful, it was punchy, it was probably too loud, and it was wrecking. I couldn't tell you how it fit with the kick drum, as our drummer uses an electronic kit that has a kind of meh bass drum sound, but the bass and the guitar sound great together, which I didn't expect.

Of course, it might be that I was playing through a rather nice Carvin board, but still, that's a pretty P sound to me. And wow does it work.

So, consider me converted. I think. It might have just worked well in that circumstance.

2. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

If you think that sounded good , wait till you get a chance to play that P through an SVT .

3. LowBC

LowBC

Disclosures:
    Builder: www.MavourneenStrings.com
    Yeah, I think the power of the P lies in its ability to sit in the right place in the mix. I've really never played one that sounded great on its own but when it's placed between a drummer and a guitarist good things can happen.

good luck!

4. Hamlet7768

Oh man, I can't wait for that. Though I'm not sure I'm going to go full SVT due to cost. Unless I can get lucky used; the SVT 810s aren't that bad on ebay. I've been considering a Hartke Kilo with the SVT Cab.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

The 8 10 classic sounds pretty good with a Hartke 3500 pushing it. Had a buddy that had that setup and it sounded awesome( Took a bit of tweeking to get it dialed in ) so I would imagine the bigger Hartke would sound pretty good too. Check craigslist. I've picked up a couple cabs for around $500 there. Heck , if you're gonna be in the Hagerstown area , shoot me a PM and you can come by and try mine out , however I will not be held responsible for any addictions created by this lol

7. Hamlet7768

I've been considering the 3500 too, as I probably (read: definitely) don't need 1000 watts right now, and my cab couldn't handle that anyway.

Of course, now that I've thought about it some more, the P might have sounded so good because the guitarist had to play through an extremely small amp and had a very trebly tone to keep from sounding like mud. But I'm still impressed by the P's sound in the mix, imperfect as it might have been.

8. Greevus

Greevus

Another soul that saw the light. Wait you DO need 1000 watts! Muhhhaaahahaah

9. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

Awesome! Precisions do have a way of sounding good in most contexts, and are probably more versatile than most people imagine (it's all in the fingers, and then in the EQ).

If you're still GASing for a new bass, a MIM or MIA P might be the way to go for you. The Squier CV and VM Precisions are great value, too, and a step up from the Affinity series.

By the way, your thread subtitle reminded my of the Malcolm Gladwell Book Generator :D

10. odarellmc

odarellmc

The honeyburst American special p sounds delicious by itself

11. Hamlet7768

What I'm really looking for is something with a better radius. I think. I need a lower action, as I play pretty hard and in higher registers frequently. That might be a problem on this bass more because it's a Squier than because it's a P. I'm strongly considering getting a P-style made by Joe Milstein of Gamma. Of course, now I need to figure out if any companies make P-sounding soapbars for 6-strings, since I'd like to make that jump eventually.