1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

And this is why I'm tantrum quitting TalkBass...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tazthewonderdog, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tazthewonderdog

tazthewonderdog

So there are some users here who seem to think that their sole purpose in life is to hate people who play with a pick. I play with both fingers and a pick because I'm new to bass and I can't get much speed without a pick yet.

Now before anyone says, "YOU'RE NOT A REAL BASSIST, YOU PLAY WITH A PICK" I'd like to point out that I prefer the sound of fingers, but, as stated, I can't finger pick fast enough.

I really don't care if I start an argument, because everyone hates me already (because I use a pick)... but I'd just like to make it aware that even though the forum rules say that you need to respect your fellow TBers, extremely rude pick vs. fingers debates still happen. A lot. And these guys don't get banned...

Anyway, you can hate me if you feel like it. No skin off my butt...
  2. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

Hmm uncalled for melt down? Who cares alot of greats used picks and alot of greats used fingers. Hell some even used just there thumb.

Grow up if your skin is that thin then you have bigger problems!
  3. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

I don't hate you! I play only with my fingers but some of my favorite bass players of all time play only with a pick: Phil Lesh, Carol Kaye, Steve Swallow, Matt Freeman. There are many others.

So, it wasn't me, ok? I think you should stick around, and just avoid threads about "pick vs fingers".
  4. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

There are plenty of positive vibes in the 'great pick players' threads...do a search and check them out.

Otherwise, don't slam the door on the way out.
  5. NightTripper

NightTripper

I don't know why you would leave these often helpful forums just because of a few losers. A lot of us play with a pick, as do many of our bass idols.

Play with a pick to your heart's content, it doesn't matter what anyone says. You think Paul McCartney cares about the anti-pickers?

No matter what you do, someone won't like it. Haters gonna hate. ;)
  6. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Grow thicker skin buddy.
  7. BadJazz

BadJazz

Threads like these are why I stay on talkbass. :D
  8. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

+1
  9. tazthewonderdog

tazthewonderdog

thread: unsubscribed
  10. tazthewonderdog

tazthewonderdog

You could say I'm ragequitting this.
    I am.
  11. MegaSwing

MegaSwing The Artist Formerly Known As Edward G. Gold Supporting Member

12. electracoyote

electracoyote

I learned a long time ago that the Internet is a much better place when you learn how to filter out the trolls and douchebags (of which there are many). And the mods are very busy people who cannot possibly blow the whistle every time someone looks at you cross-eyed.

There is an alert icon on every post. Use it. If it violates TOS, a mod will deal with it, and you may not even know.

Step back, give yourself a little time, then come back and reap the benefits while avoiding the rabble.

Remember: Opinions are like buttholes; everybody has one.
  13. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

No one ever really leaves Talkbass.
  14. themacinator

themacinator

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    I started playing with only my fingers as a total beginner and now am moving more to a pick for the majority of the songs. I like the sound better with a pick. Frankly I say stay with a pick, I think you will find that you'll like it better in the long run.
  15. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft Supporting Member

16. MysticMichael

MysticMichael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Relax. It's just the Talkbass Orthodoxy Police, making the rounds with their usual Dogma of the Day. Usually begins with something like: "A real bassist always ______", or "A real bassist never __________".

Just ignore them. No, unfortunately they won't go away. Just ignore them anyway... :rolleyes:

MM
  17. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

If you filter out all the trolls and dooshbags, it's a lonely place. :D
  18. JdoubleH

JdoubleH Scented meat Supporting Member

Any relation to Lowner perhaps?
  19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Shouldn't this thread be in the Technique Forum?
  20. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Both methods are valid. I really don't care how others play. Whatever works and gets the job done.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.