1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

andy fraser(free)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by munsonga, Feb 5, 2013.

1. munsonga

munsonga

I'm looking for any tabs for free's Andy Fraser, song of yesterday and the stealer in particular, i play fire & water by ear with my band but i'd like to get that more accrurate, are there any tab books out there?
  2. Captain Bob

Captain Bob Supporting Member

3. mcm

mcm

Killer bassist. He was a kid playin that stuff
  4. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

+1, he was one of my main influences when I started playing, his grooves were all about the space between the notes.
  5. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups

One of my all time favorite bassists - He's about 19 in this video, I love the tone the Gibson EB and his stack of Marshalls!
    Free was a great band.......
  6. JimK

JimK

...there's a short Andy Fraser bit in the newest issue of Bass Player. He started on piano while very, very young.
    Yes, he was a kid playing that stuff...he was also writing/arranging it!
  7. JimK

JimK

Fraser talks about 'space' in Bass Player...since Free had minimal instrumentation (live), the songs were arranged so the guitar played "here"...the bass played "there"...sounds like a thought out attempt to not step into the other guy's sonic space.
    I re-visited the studio version of "Mr. Big" the other day. Wow.
    I liked Free/Fraser back in the day but did not give them enough study time.
  8. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

Andy and Glenn Hughes were also on the cover on the January U.K. Bass guitar Magazine.
  9. mcm

mcm

He was a kid when he played with free. Really incredible
  10. munsonga

munsonga

My band (The Elsan Blues) are all about heavy groove-led funky blues so free are a big influence, we've got three guitarists but my bass is right up in the mix, warm as you like! Cheers for the links, i'll get on the case...