1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Andy Rourke (The Smiths)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by pica, Oct 10, 2012.

1. pica

pica

I came across some old Smiths records that I probably haven't listened to in 15 years. I cleaned them up and put them on my turntable. I was just amazed at some of the bass lines Andy played on those records. I for one don't think he got the credit he deserved. Seems like Morrisey and Johnny Marr got all the credit.
  2. Calexia13

Calexia13 Supporting Member

Yes, it's true. Moz and Marr get all the credit. Andy is actually a really good bass player and those lines he created for those songs really move them along and move the music. If the music had not been so great, no one would have bothered putting up with a wanking primadona like Moz, and he would be in hollywood squares right now. I remember a while back when the drummer and Andy took Moz and Marr to court for royalties. Moz said that they were "as replaceable as the pieces of a watch". The judge disagreed and Moz and Marr had to pay them a million pounds or something like that. Anyway. Cheers!
  3. tomnomnom91

tomnomnom91 Supporting Member

He's definitely massively underrated. Just listen to Bigmouth Strikes Again or There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - both understated basslines in the context of the song, but try playing them! He's got some serious groove. Oddly, I've always found Johnny Marr really overrated as a guitarist.
  4. Mariano99

Mariano99

I found older threads about Andy but this is the newest, so I just want to say that I'm here basically because of him. I'm a drummer since I was 12 (now I'm 23), but 2 years ago I decided to buy a bass and start learning. I always loved his lines...

Favorites:
    - Barbarism begins at home
    - There's a light that never goes out
    - Paint a vulgar picture
    - The headmasters ritual
    - Still Ill
  5. EddieT

EddieT

I've really fallen out of love with the Smiths, but always rated Rourke and still do. I agree with the poster above - Marr is an overrated guitarist.
  6. Kingbreaker

Kingbreaker

Mrrr. . . mm m. :confused:

Marr is a genius. There is more to rock music than blooz-based wankery, and he demonstrated that and then some. He is the anti-hero, and amazing for it.

I do appreciate Rourke too.
  7. ERIC31

ERIC31

Andy Rourke is the man! I was disgusted with how little respect he got in The Smiths for his musical contributions. NOBODY plays like he did/does!

Check out this early show from 1984 to hear just how awesome he was even then! Bass is high in the mix for your listening pleasure. =)

8. stratovani

stratovani

Andy Rourke is always high on my list of underrated bassists, much like John Lodge of The Moody Blues. There are a lot of great bass players out there that practically no one has heard of. Guess it comes with the territory.
  9. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

He is a good bassist, but others could have done as well for the band. I thought that he played very straighforward stuff. Following Johnny Marr's musical lead. Johnny Marr is a very inventive and unique guitarist, in my opinion and he basically wrote all the music.
  10. bmb73

bmb73

Thanks for the link!:bassist:
  11. pica

pica

Great clip, thanks for posting
  12. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Yes, his playing is great. But this quote from Morrissey puts things in perspective:

"They [Rourke and Joyce] were lucky. If they'd had another singer they'd never have got further than Salford shopping centre."
  13. pica

pica

That just goes to show you Morrissey's arrogance.
  14. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Yes, but the Smiths were a legendary band. Morrissey is still popular.

There are probably hundreds of great guitar pickers in Nashville. How many of them are considered legends? Elvis Costello's original bassist was pretty awesome, but I don't know what he has done since that band split up. As good as he was, he was still fortunate to work with someone like Elvis Costello.

Just putting things in perspective. There is a price to pay for being part of the "rhythm section" no matter how great you are. Unless you are Paul McCartney, and you can also sing and write original songs.
  15. Strikebass

Strikebass

Mariano89 you forgot this charming man. Every time I play it i just feel like I'm being on electricity.

Anybody knows his setup?
  16. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah

Singers are like the oldest employee at the office...they THINK they are indispensable, but they are very VERY dispensable. Plenty of bands back a mediocre or untalented singer with a "unique" voice (RHCP comes to mind), so it's stupid to say only THAT singer totally makes the band. :rollno:
  17. ERIC31

ERIC31

The early days was a Fender P-Bass with flats through a Peavey amp and cabinet. Don't know if he used any pedals although I think I hear a slight chorus/flanging sound on the live stuff.

You can hear/see his gear on this clip.

18. Strikebass

Strikebass

RHCP's singer may be dispensable, Morrissey isn't.
  19. markorbit

markorbit

Great bass lines by Andy Rourke. Didn't realise how good some of them were until I had a go one day! I hated that court case between Morrissey/Marr v Joyce (I think Rourke settled prior) as The Smiths carried no passengers. Marr IS a great innovative, emotive guitarist but his best work may well have been with The Smiths.
  20. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

I have to admit, though, I think that bands like U2 and REM had the right idea in giving all members more songwriting credit from the start, and just keeping it that way.

You'd think that Morrissey and Marr might have given the other guys equal songwriting credit on a couple of songs per album at least.