1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

angle of bass on stand to reduce left hand stress

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by uprightearl, May 28, 2012.

1. uprightearl

uprightearl

When i first got my N.X.T.-4 i had it angled back on stand, as many do, then i noticed an increase in left hand stress with some pain from gripping too tightly. On my a.u.b. i practiced arco with leaning the bass forward and allowing the weight of the bass to "fret" the note while lifting the thumb off the back of neck. This helped reduce left hand stress and pain when playing for extended periods of time. Now that i am playing the e.u.b. more with drummers the same issue has presented. I have now positioned the e.u.b. only slightly angled and this has worked well for arco with the bass closer to the angle I use for a.u.b. though still when playing pizz. some left hand stress. Lately i have positioned the e.u.b. stand with one leg forward allowing me to pull the bass back on 2 legs then allowing the weight to pull the bass forward as the front leg of stand wants to return to the floor, the opposite of this exercise with the a.u.b., it seems to be helping and getting less bouncing. Have others tryed this and has it helped reduce left hand stress? Anyone have any other tips to reduce left hand stress while playing e.u.b. on a stand? I thought i would post this in the e.u.b. section as the question is specific to playing e.u.b. on a stand.
  2. SeaMist_au

SeaMist_au

An old post but I have a reply lol
    Angling back gives much better arco but yes, it can stress the left hand UNLESS you modify your stance and left hand position to be more like playing a double bass. Elbow right out so that the wrist is not bent over....in other lower part of arm should be fairly in line with the wrist. Sort of like you are putting your arm around someone.