1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Animal cruelty.. looks like it never ends...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Did you all saw that video from Christensen Farms (a pork supplier for Walmart), where (pregnant) pigs and piglets were beaten up, kicked, or smashed on the concrete floor to death?

Heck! One pig even got hit with a bowling ball on his head.
    I've seen hundreds of this kind of video's and I do not understand, how it's possible that ''human'' on this planet can do this to animals.

They don't have a heart, that's all what I can think off.

I totally lost my hope for mankind... :rollno:
  2. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

These videos are highly exaggerated versions of the food production industry. They are isolated incidents, that are ofter shot over many months, or years, and put together in a three minute video. If someone filmed you for six moths and put together a three minute video of your worst moments, many of us would think that you deserve to be in jail.

lowsound
  3. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

That may or may not be so, but I have Zero Tolerance for people who mistreat animals.
  4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure if someone filmed me nonstop for several months, they'd see some unflattering footage of me yelling, swearing, even maybe throwing something. But beating a sentient creature to death? No. :scowl:
  5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

OK now I'm confused.

We don't give a seconds thought to the slaughter of animals by the millions every day in high production environments in order to keep us from having to get the blood on our hands, but when someone who is getting the blood on their hands (and usually for very little pay), and they do something really stupid to an animal less than a day away from "processing", they are worthy of exception and ridicule, but if they personally behead or eviscerate a couple hundred thousand animals in a typical work day, it's no problem?

Animal is just as used and abused (and dead) no matter if it's mistreatment by someone having an aw shite day or the same guy on the production line chopping its head off.
  6. bassinplace

bassinplace

You just answered your own question. Yes, these animals are being prepared for slaughter. Ideally, it's supposed to be done as ethically and humanely as possible. I eat meat, so I don't really have a lot of room to criticize, but I doubt it's done that way very often. At least not by the major corporations that deal in meat production.
  7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Sorry, I forgot to turn on the sarcasm sign before I posted my last. :)

Ever been in a chicken plant? Millions of birds a day are hung upside down on a chain conveyor, very much alive and kicking, then their heads are promptly pulled off and their guts pulled out before they are dipped in scalding water to release their feathers.

On a scale of one to ten, how much more ethical is it to just pull the head off a live chicken as opposed to kicking it around a little before you pull it's head off.

Like the concept of dolphin safe tuna. it's OK to eat dolphin safe tuna because tuna is just a stupid fish too dumb to avoid being caught by the millions of pounds in big azzed nets. But that same stupid tuna somehow becomes undesirable because the highly intelligent dolphin gets caught in the same net as the stupid tuna. If the dolphin is so intelligent how did it wind up in the same net as the stupid tuna?
  8. hbarcat

hbarcat Gold Supporting Member

This explains why we treat some animals better than others.

A stupid fish with a brain that's barely more than a lump on top of the spinal cord compared to a mammal with a massive and complex brain which allows the dolphin to be much closer to humans in intelligence than to stupid fish. Dolphins are protected from harvest while fish are harvested by the millions.

For the same reason, we have laws which protect dogs, cats and other reasonably intelligent pets from abuse, but few people give a crap if we kill rats in snap traps. How many people care at all when you kill countless insects and arthropods every day walking around and stepping on them without even thinking about it?

It's all about your place on the evolutionary ladder as judged by us humans.
  9. Robus

Robus

Nice try. Deliberate cruelty is not okay, whether the animal is going to be slaughtered or not.
  10. bolophonic

bolophonic

Why are you watching hundreds of these videos?
  11. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Well... I don't know actually. Some of them ''just showed up'' and then I watch them.

I know it might not be good to watch, but at the same time it's the best not to look to the other way...

I think some things MUST be stopped at all costs. You know, I'm a meat eater, so maybe I don't sound serious about it, but I do care about the well being about animals.

I live here in Holland and we have a so called ''Party for the Animals'' (no not a alcoholic party :p ) in our gouvernment. They stand up for the rights of animals and in the last 7 years, the accomplished a lot. Really.

One of the things I always try to look at, are the so called ''Better Life'' logo's on food products here in Holland. Depending on 1, 2 or 3 stars on the product, the less miserable the life was of a animal..

I think it's better than nothing :)

12. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

The environmental impact of the meat industry is another over looked aspect.

But it's part of our SUV driving, big screen TV watching, larger than life living.

But after this I think I'll have beans for lunch.
  13. BawanaRik

I think you'll find rats are smarter than you might think.
  14. bolophonic

bolophonic

I don't think you are confused, I think you are being deliberately obtuse to make some kind of point. There is an obvious difference between slaughtering an animal and torturing it for kicks. I do believe that everyone should be forced to acknowledge the inhumanity of the meat industry and for what it's worth, I avoid commercial meat as much as possible.
  15. Relic

Relic Cow are you? Supporting Member

Abusing a food animal before killing it is damn creepy.

The meat industry is a necessary thing and part of life. So long as we eat meat and there are millions of us then it has to be. Generally the euthanizing of the animals, while disturbing to think about, is fast. Anyone who's ever hunted can probably attest to the fact that death is very often not so swift and painless..
    With that in mind, I have no qualms about the industry, but the deliberate abusing of the animals in some cases just boggles my mind. I mean why would someone feel the need to do that..? Like I said - creepy.
  16. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

to create a propaganda piece to push an agenda by people who aren't satisfied with their own lives and have a need to push their choices on others.

abusing these animals ruins the meat, they may as well be lighting stacks of 100 dollar bills on fire.
  17. BawanaRik

I find this interesting. How do you avoid commercial meat?

I eat more beans and thing like that but still seem to end up hitting the 99 cent boneless chicken bosoms like this week at the ShopRite.

I used to enjoy fishing but the whole cutting them open etc eventually took the fun out it.
  18. BawanaRik

The fecal debris tend to roll down hill.

And the voiceless are at the bottom of the hill.
  19. pedroims

pedroims Supporting Member

There is docummentary in Netflix: Food Inc. Very disturbing.
  20. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

45,000 children die everyday from starvation..............and you're concerned about pigs?