Ann Arbor

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ziltoid, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

I'll be spending four weeks in Ann Arbor this summer, most of my time will be occupied by the summer school I'm attending but I am looking for suggestions. Restaurants, activities, beer shops, etc. It can be in Ann Arbor itself or nearby.

I also plan onto splitting the drive there over the course of 3 days which will allow me to spend a little time in Ottawa, Toronto and Detroit. I plan onto seeing the Ford Museum in the burbs but then again, suggestions welcome. Ottawa I know very well but Detroit and Toronto not so much.

2. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

They have a museum to the Rob Fords already?

3. Ziltoid

Henry Ford, the other Ford is more like the kind of freak you'd see on Coney Island, no museum for that. :D

4. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

A2 resident here.

What kinds of places are you into? There's a ton of restaurants and stuff in the downtown area. on Main and Liberty mostly.

For beer shops, there's 4 or 5 good options. My personal hierarchy is as follows: Jolly Pumpkin, Grizzly Peak, Wolverine Brewing, and then Arbor Brewing Co. All of those except Wolverine are right in the downtown on or just off of Main St. Wolverine is on the West Side.

If you're looking for a good range of beer, you can hit up Ashley's on State St by UM's campus. They've got a huge selection, always changing.

Finally, Ypsilanti, which is just to the East of A2, also has Corner Bar (owned and operated by Arbor Brewing and serves ABC beer). The Corner is a fun place. Much more chill than the downtown A2 bars. Decent food too. Also in Ypsi is Wurst Bar, which serves a good selection of brews, and some awesome sausages/burgers. They have rattlesnake brats. Good times. Then there's also Sidetrack and Red Rock (haven't been to RR yet).

I have also heard good things about Original Gravity in Milan (just south of A2 on US23).

If you have a bottomless wallet, hit up the Chop House and their cigar bar La Dolce Vita. Good food, but man, hits the pocketbook hard.

There's a ton of good Indian and Mediterranean food here too. Chinese not so much, but Japanese is ok. Lts of sushi places, and a great noodle/ramen place called Tomukun on Liberty.

For non-food-related attractions, if you're here in the summer check out the arboretum on the east side of the UM campus. Depending on what month you're here there are also free concerts in Liberty Square during lunchtime, and other stuff like that. Art Fair is in July. There will be tons of people, and it will be impossible to get anywhere.

If you have any other questions, hit me up.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ziltoid

Sounds like I'll have a good time!

I'll be there from the 23rd of June to the 15th of July.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If it were me, I would drive to Detroit and go to Cheli's Chili Bar next to Comerica Park.

-Mike

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Let me know when the time gets closer. I'm an hour or so away.

9. paste

paste Banned

Downtown Detroit is a beautiful place. I remember spending about half the day just walking around after the Tigers game last time I was there. Plus it's free.

10. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

There are also 3 great record stores downtown.
    Underground Sounds, Encore and Wazoo.

I live in a town called Pinckney. Its like a half hour from Ann Arbor. I go there a lot.

If you like Mexican food go to Banditos. Its pretty great.

Luke19Boarder likes this.
  11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

If you're going to do some traveling, instead of Toronto-Ottawa, Northern MI is exceptional in Summer. The Traverse City-Petoski-Charlevoix area is worth at least a three day weekend. It's only about three and a half hours from AA.

As far as things to do the Ravens Club in Ann Arbor has some good jazz as does Cliff Bells in Detroit. If you get a chance to see Ralphe Armstrong (local bass player) DO IT!! He is literally one of the best bass players in the world and has played with the likes of Mahivishnu Orchestra, Jen-luc Ponty, etc. Some of the best bass playing of the fusion era was Ralphe.

Also Bakers keyboard Lounge in Detroit is the oldest Jazz club in one location in the world. And has hosted legends from Charlie Parker to Miles Davis. It's definitely worth checking out.

The Ark in Ann Arbor is a great music venue, but it's mostly known for folk music. The Detroit area has some exceptional musicians, especially bass players. A few of them post here.

fdeck likes this.
  12. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

When I was there I went to the Walter P Chrysler museum. It was cool.

13. bolophonic

bolophonic

I grew up in a town very close to Ann Arbor. My wife just booked me a ticket to visit my oldest friend when he is back in town visiting his family in April. I haven't been back in 25 years, so I will be keeping an eye on this thread.

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Lived in Ann Arbor for many years. PM me w/contact info and I can give you some decent ideas. It is a fun town, lots of great eats and some ok bars and a decent underground scene.

15. Ziltoid

Thanks! I'll be sure to drop you a pm when it will be closer in time.

16. pica

pica

I live about 45 minutes from Ann Arbor. Check out Ray's Red Hots for some great hot dogs right on campus. There use to be a great bar/restaurant called the Little Brown Jug that I think is still there. Great shops along Main St.

17. Ripper

Ripper

Having only been to A2 a few times, I'd suggest going to Zingerman's Deli at least once. Good sandwiches. Also, if you're traveling northwards, I'd suggest Frankenmuth for some good German food, and Tony's I-75 for a 1 lb BLT.

Other than that, idk, visit Flint once so you can call yourself a BAMF for having been in one of the most dangerous cities in the country. (ok, its not that bad. Actually downtown is quite nice).

18. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

http://www.motownmuseum.org/

And bring a couple hundred extra bucks and buy a house or two.

Watch that cable show with Jane Adams and Thomas Jane. It's set in Motown and will give you a feel for the place.

19. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

Addendum: There are two must-visit BBQ joints here in town that I would recommend anyone hit up while in A2.

The first is Satchel's on Washtenaw. It's super simple, slow hardwood smoked BBQ, with decent selection of sides. I've had better, but I had to travel pretty far to do so.

The other is Biercamp on South State St. They sell a bunch of smoked/cured meats, and have also started brewing beer, but only sell it by the growler. Both the beer and the meats are friggin amazing.

20. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

If memory serves AA was perhaps the first place in the US to DeCrim pot.

This might have 40 years ago and forgotten but it was once revered as a cool place.

21. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

It is still a fairly cool place, yes, and if you get caught smoking a doober by the city police all you get is a $100 fine or something like that. That said, A2 is quickly becoming a victim of its own reputation as the Midwest Portland, and is getting kind of pricey to live in. That means the city is getting older, richer, and square-er, and the people around who DO do the artsy, fun stuff are sort of the coattail riding pretentious types that do more socializing than creating.

Detroit has some cool art communities that have taken up residence in some of the neglected neighborhoods, and a lot of the people who do art and music in A2 often go to Detroit shows/exhibitions, etc.