1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Anniversary!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I've had my TL-5 for one year now. It is a joy to keep a bass for "this long." It's been a while since I have kept a bass long enough to really learn it the way I know this old Peavey.
  2. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

I keep hoping to have that feeling one day :)
    Every new bass I buy, I say "this is the one". I guess I'm still on that search.
  3. Dr. Cheese

To be honest, I have had dozens of potential keepers, I was just too full of GAS to use any common sense and chill.
  4. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

For those of you that don't know the good DR Cheese - keeping a bass for over a year is one for the record books! :D
  5. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I don't know how many "keepers" I've sold. I had a Yamaha B605 for quite a while. I've been playing my Geddy Lee for a few months now.

I still want to have a Roscoe again, just not sure how many strings to go with - 4 or 5.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Before I started working, I kept my one good bass, a Rickenbacker 4000, for over seven years. Once I started working, and especially when I got credit, I lost control! My responsibilities changed, and the economy changed. It actually feels good to just play what I own and not break my neck getting some music store looking at something I don't need.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Get a 5, that way you have a four too.
  8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Probably a good idea.
  9. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    Nice, congrats!

I had my Fender P-Plus for a little more than 2 years, that was the longer time I owned a bass.

This year I had another anniversary, too, but it happened when I completed 1 year waiting for a bass to get built by a local luthier :D Actually it got done and the wait was totally worth!
  10. Dr. Cheese

Congrats and post a picture!
  11. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

I played the same Fender P and Gibson G3 for many years.... Then I found TalkBass.:bawl::spit:

After 5-6 years and 60-70 basses later.... I am hoping the Fodera I just ordered will cure my GAS and be with me for a VERY long time.

If not, I am giving up bass and taking up drums, tuba or piano.... Don't see many tuba players posting they have "TAS" for a 12th tuba!:bag:
  12. FileBass

FileBass

I have my squire for 5 years now even though it sucks. Keeping cheapies has its positive side too, I can do everything and not afraid it will be any worse.
    I sanded my squire's neck down to reduce the sticky feels. Experiment and learn how to do setup and learn my preferred setup.
  13. Dr. Cheese

I have learned that we chose to have GAS. No one has to run off and buy more gear. If you find that you simply cannot afford to buy gear, it is amazing how quickly the urge dies down. Countless bassists become great with one bass, having two is really gravy.:):bassist:
  14. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Hey Doc! I took full advantage of your GAS a while back. And your old Roscoe Beck Sig 5 is my keeper. But I'm glad you are happy with what you have. After all, that's what it's all about!

By the way, no pic = no 1 year anniversary bass! I don't believe it 'til I see it!
  15. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Yeah cheese, those TL5's are great basses! Also, I bought my "silver" am. standard jazz last novemeber (exactly one year ago). Cheers! :)

[​IMG]
  16. Wallace320

Wallace320

So I congrat Doc for his anniversary, but I'm actually
    19 years with Yamaha RBX350;
    17 years with Yamaha BBN5...

Then:
    2 1/2 years with Yamaha Attitude Limited II lava red;
    1 1/2 years with Yamaha Attitude Limited II all black;

1 anniversary since my ordering of the Steve Harris Old West Ham Precision to a confident luthier (that had it to me out of Fender parts) and I received a few weeks ago

everything else (guitars apart, that I never mentioned ove here) is "younger"

But I've to say that is not connected to TalkBass, or previous bass or guitars forums

It's just me ("... and my bass guitar..." thanx mighty Vic)
    and my G.A.S.!

Cheers,
    Wallace
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
    I've had my Tobias 4 for 32 years. It does feel good.
    ;)
  18. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

happy anniversary fine Doctor!!!
  19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

One bass I've had since I bought it new, 2002 P-bass. My Precision V, I've had 2 years now. Both work fine.
  20. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

My Geddy Lee doing it for me these days. I still lust after a Roscoe, but a P would probably be a more practical choice.