1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Annoying Hiss

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cabo420, Dec 5, 2013.

1. cabo420

cabo420

I have a Fender MIM jazz bass that has an annoying high frequency hiss in it when I am not playing. When I turn the tone knob all the way off it goes away. The has shielded pickup cavities. Any ideas I can do to fix this?
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

3. cabo420

cabo420

4. megafiddle

megafiddle

Hiss is generated by active circuits, and normally occurs in the preamp (input) stage of the amp.
    The level of the hiss depends on both the gain setting of the amp, and the impedance of the source.
    The source in this case is the bass. The tone pot affects the bass output impedance at high frequencies

If everything is working normally, the gain of the amp may be set too high. It is basically a matter of
    signal to noise ratio.

Is the bass ouput level good? Are the volume pots set reasonably high? And the pickup height set
    properly?

If the bass output is weak, the amp gain will have to be set abnormally high, and the input noise (hiss)
    will be amplified.

-
  5. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

A fender jazz with hiss??? Say it isn't so... That never happens. Search man, search