1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Another 5 string SG bass build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ric5, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I am building a third 5 string Frankensteined SG bass. I have built 2 of these already.

http://www.3dentourage.com/425/5string-sg-bass.htm

http://www.3dentourage.com/425/5string-sg-bass2.htm

Here are some pics of my newest project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The body is an Epiphone EB0 body. I slightly reliced the body to have a road worn look. I am using a 34" scale neck with 21 frets. I have to route out the neck pocket for the new neck and the additional pickup. I will use a 5 string OLP MM style bridge. I will be using 2 EB0 style pickups. I am thinking I will put a Rickenbacker .0047 capacitor with a toggle on/off for the bridge pickup. Also I will have to modify the pickups to properly cover 5 strings.
  2. Bobster

Bobster

Hi Ric5

Best of luck with the build (not that you need it).

Seeing the paddle headstock, I had to make a suggestion....

What about going with a 3x2 headstock design, similiar to the stock design?

Bob
  3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I will go with the pointy headstock that I like.

[​IMG]

The pointy shape is also used in some Gibson guitars and basses.
  4. Bobster

Bobster

No arguing there.... ;-)

It's your bass. Best of luck with the build!

Bob
  5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I also will do a 4th one of these. It will have 2 t-bird pickups.
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I am going for a bass something like this when finished.

[​IMG]

Although mine unlike the Warwick Jack Bruce Survivor bass will have 5 strings and it will be 34" in scale and it will cost a lot less.
  7. sevdog

sevdog

I remember you posting a pic of the black one on a thread a while back...I'll post basically the same thing I did on that thread...it looks freaking sweet, if you ever want to sell it, hit me up.
  8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

This is turning out to be a slow build ... but I am still making progress ...

I routed out the neck pocket and made a route for the bridge pickup and enlarged the control cavity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

DON'T LET THE COLLECTIF DOWN. THIS MUST BE BUILT.
  10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Thanks for your confidence ...

The pickups are in the Rickenbacker positions and the wiring will be following the Rickenbacker schematic except I will use all 500k ohm pots due to the humbuckers.

The pickups will have a 1/8" by 1/8" by 3" steel bar to pickup up all 5 strings. I will leave the 4 holes in the cover and the bar will be under the cover.
  11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I modified 3 EB0 pickups. Those pickups are a designed for 4 strings and they don't make a 5 string version. So I modifed the pickups to cover 5 strings. 2 of them I installed a steel rod and one a bar magnet. One pickup is an Epiphone pickup, one is an Artec, and one a generic clone. I have since lost track of which one is which.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

And? What's the progress?