1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Another '62 AVRI Precision vs. American Standard thread.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by raferalston, Dec 3, 2012.

1. raferalston

raferalston

I've narrowed it down to these two Fenders. I've read all the previous threads and it seems like the only thing that everyone can agree on is that you need to play them side by side and see which one is right for you.

Well, I did that, and I still can't decide.

A few of questions;

Which one would most likely hold its value better?

What are the main tonal differences? (The amp I played them though in the store left a lot to be desired.

If they're so close in terms of quality...what exactly are you paying the few extra hundred dollars for on the '62 RI?

Much thanks,

2. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Well currently the Av's are cheaper then the standards i think, there is a big blow out sale.

3. raferalston

raferalston

4. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

samash has the 62 RI backordered in sunburst for under $1100, musicians friend has the sunburst 57 for under $1200. I called musiciansfriend and they were willing to match samash's price on the 62 and send me a 62 reissue for $1030.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Pretty much everywhere

The tone is really very similar between the two of them. As for the differences, I think the biggest ones are:

Nitro vs. Poly finish
    Gloss vs. Satin neck finish
    1 3/4" nut vs 1 5/8" nut
    Vintage style bridge vs. HMV

7. raferalston

raferalston

Thanks. I have a connection at a major retailer so I might be able to get a substantial discount on either one.

That's why I'm really struggling to decide. They both seem like an excellent decision.

Just can't seem to pull the trigger on a specific one.

First world problems I guess...

8. bassgod0dmw

Do you want a bass that is always going to look relatively new? Or a bass that is going to look worn and well played? After it's well played of course...

Do you like a bigger neck?

Do you like gloss neck finish?

If yes to two or more, go for the AVRI. If no, then go for the MIA Standard.

I've got a 62' & 57' AVRI and an MIA P and they're all great instruments. If I had to choose only one it would be my 57' AVRI, but thankfully I don't have to choose right now. I do prefer the neck on the MIA P though, I like the smaller nut width and I've always been a satin finish kind of guy.

As for your original questions, I think the AVRI holds it's value better...but that doesn't mean that an Am Standard P doesn't.
    You're paying extra for the nitro finish on the AVRI which is costly and a PITA to apply, and the "close" reproduction of a vintage instrument.
    It's been said more than a few times that the AVRI's are basically the quality of a Custom Shop instrument for half the price. I'm inclined to agree with that statement. I'd put my 57' up against any of the CS basses I've played and choose mine every time.

9. raferalston

raferalston

I like the well played look (as long as it isn't "relic'd")

So, you're saying that the AVRI will wear faster?

10. raferalston

raferalston

Excellent. Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards the AVRI.

11. bassgod0dmw

Yes.

Nitro will wear much faster. Poly is a much tougher finish and may show no signs of wear after years of use.

12. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    The nitro finish will wear faster, yes. But in a nice way. :D

13. raferalston

raferalston

Cool. I like the idea of that.

14. Bongolation

Bongolation

The AVRI has a non-graphite neck.

A few other odds and ends. Check the specs on the site.

15. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

I never played an AVRI P, but I have heard great things. I own an American Standard from 2011, which is awesome.

I say get the AVRI simply because they may not make that '62 model again. Look what happened to the guitars. Plus it's a steal now :D

16. raferalston

raferalston

The only gripe I've heard about the AVRI is the truss rod access is limited to taking off the neck and the fact that it's non graphite.

17. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

the non graphite allows the neck to be thinner front to back. I've had my AVRI a few weeks now and don't regret it a bit. lightweight great build quality, and there aren't many out there.

just make sure you like the 1.75" nut width, 7.25" radius and small frets. it's a different feel.

18. bassgod0dmw

Taking off the neck to do a truss rod tweak is a PITA, but it's not too bad once you do it a few times. I much prefer not having to though.

Most necks don't have graphite in them, but that is a selling point for the Am Standard as well. They do have a very nice neck. FWIW, I've never had an issue with a non graphite neck. Although I haven't ever had to adjust my graphite necked basses once it's dialed in though.

19. raferalston

raferalston

Thanks again everyone. I'll post some pics once I make the big purchase.

20. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Finger radius is different as well.

21. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

My AVRI necks never need adjustment beyond the initial setup. Maybe I am not fussy enough but I have never needed to tweak one after setting it where I want. That's my experience here in South East PA anyway and I have a gaggle of AV RI's here that are continually rotated into the gig/practice schedule.