1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Another ampeg 610hlf talk!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by NOZMEDA, Dec 18, 2012.

1. NOZMEDA

NOZMEDA

Ive been playin my ampeg 410hlf for a while now and it seems to be GREAT for solo work but now playing more and more shows (metal music btw) it just seems that in a band mix, the cab is just too low to not blend with the bass drum. Thats why im considering the 610hlf. Its not as low but its still ported. Over time ive found myself going from a smile on the graphic eq to a grin. I like the grin. Ive also come off the bass knob alot too and it mixes well. I realize that most people would prefer the bergantino nv610 for or just go all out with an ampeg 810, but my sound is a little different as in, i like to be thick in the bass and have treble up enough to utilize the horn and make a sound similar to -dont laugh- fieldy from korn (just NOT AS clanky). His bass alone makes people know what band it is instantly and that sort of "signature" sound is fading for bassists in heavy bands today. Anyways, i understand how non-ported cabs sound which is awesome... For the music that its used for, but not for what i play most of the time. At home practicing theory and scales, chords and such, i do use that more mid sound but just not in the band. So what im gettin at is, who has anything good to say about the 610hlf? Or anything relevant for that matter. Anyone know of a deep-ish ported 810? Any other deep-y 610? (Example of non relevant post: ampeg sucks. You just want the name.) thanks for any knowledge i may procure from this thread!

2. NOZMEDA

NOZMEDA

Not to mention it sucks bending down and carting that little heavy box around. (410hlf)

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like the 610hlf. Don't have one and I actually prefer the 810e, but it's quite a good cab that's between the 410hlf and the 810e in low response. I think it would work for what you want to do.

4. NOZMEDA

NOZMEDA

Thats what i was thinkin. I feel like it will help me cut through better but still maintain my wierd cliff burton/rex brown/fieldy/flea with a sprinkle of a 10yr old vic wooten sound. I like my low strings to be more bass for sounds like "dun dun" and i like my higher strings to still be functional and make a "bleen bleen wado wado bleen diddle doo" sound.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Ya, I like the "dun dun" and "bleen bleen" myself, but with all due respect, I'll pass on the "diddle doo."

:D

7. NOZMEDA

NOZMEDA

Oh. You dont diddle too?

8. NOZMEDA

NOZMEDA

Eh, this is gettin gay real fast... BASS MONSTER ANIMAL PILLAGER SMASH STUFF AND DONT LOOK AT EXPLOSIONS. Also, 610hlf.

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I'd recommend playing one in a band context before committing, if at all possible... I *thought* I'd want one also, after owning a few 810e and -410hlf cabs, and since it was both lighter and taller than the PH610 I had at the time, it would be easier to load... However, after using one for a month or so, I couldn't wait to give it back - it definitely couldn't hang with my PH610 in terms of volume and low end, nor could it hang with a Goliath Sr... IME, the SVT610-HLF can be made to fart out easily, if you're looking for both volume and low end - probably due to it's size verses the amount of speakers it's trying to use in a ported enclosure... Also, it's wiring scheme is less than desireable... IME, and JMHO,

- georgestrings

10. NOZMEDA

NOZMEDA

Hm. Who makes the ph610? Ive read alot about bad batches of those 610hlfs. There is a time frame that really suckd but now theyre supposed to be good again. Maybe.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Ya, the 2000-2006 timeframe is when they weren't as good. Now I haven't played 610hlf's except newer ones, but I have played 410hlf's both old and new, and the newer ones are much improved IMHO.

12. NOZMEDA

NOZMEDA

Yeah my 410hlf rocks but having on about the same level as the bass drum physically, and sonically cuts the drummer out or me out sometimes. Its not a deal breaker though. I would still recommend the 410hlf to anyone. I just want something thts almost exactly the same but just not as deep.

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Mesa...

- georgestrings

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Yup - Mesa, SWR, and Genz-Benz all make excellent ported 610s and 810s...

- georgestrings

15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

I've played a 610hlf for years.
    My favorite Ampeg cab.

16. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

You can bury me with my 610hlf. I've thrown everything I can at this thing and it won't give up. I don't know how anyone could fart this thing out. I have pushed a dangerous amount of watts into this thing and it didn't flinch.

17. randyg

randyg

I play a 610hlf with a svpcl/poweramp or a vb2 and it sounds fine and is plenty loud. Mine is also one of the "bad" sounding ones from about 2005. One thing to watch for is the cardboard tubes can fall off the back of the ports. Mine lost some of it's sound and all three tubes had come off. Good rock cabinet in my humble opinion.

18. randyg

randyg

My svpcl preamp is hooked to a dcm1500 Carvin amp. I run it bridged to the 610 and have never farted it

19. NOZMEDA

NOZMEDA

I dont think id give it enough gas to fart. I only use a head and a di+ box ran through my effects loop. This setup CAN be too much for the 410hlf though. I cant run my volume too high without it sounding like ill break something. Then again, i do have my lowest frequency on the graph boosted to about 6.

20. NOZMEDA

NOZMEDA

Im definitely gonna check out that mesa and other brands though.

21. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Here's a quick pic of my PH610. My main cab is a PH412 but this 610 kicks real good too. I run a Crest Prolite 2.0 bridged into it (2000 watts), obviously I have to be careful with my volume but it takes tons of power. After owning my 01' 810e for a while, I'd have to say that I'll be sticking to my Mesa cabs. The Ampeg cabs are great for what they are, and they have their classic tone in them, but I find that they're not too eq friendly and cant take much bass boost being a sealed cab. They sound nice in the mix, but the Mesa PH series cabs are straight up ballsy in your face cabs and they're perfect for hard rock/metal IMO.

[​IMG]