1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Another Ampeg PF350 Question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gimp, Feb 13, 2013.

1. gimp

gimp Supporting Member

I have a little bit of an oddball setup:

[​IMG]

1967 Ampeg BT-15 into a Mosvalve power amp, going "stereo" out into each side of my 2x15, with each speaker getting 80 watts.
    Details on the wiring here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/peavey-2x15-project-complete-823227/

The cab can run either two separate 4 ohms inputs, or a single 8 ohms.

Now on to the question
    I really, really like my current setup. I can push the BT-15 (which is really just being used as a pre) nice and hard, and then use the power amp to control the volume without changing the tone.

The problem: This thing is not light.

The PF350 power output at 8 ohms is better (250 vs the 160 I have now) and it is substantially lighter.

I have yet to get to Guitar Center yet to try, but can you get a nice "growl" or distorted sound out of the PF350 without obscene volume levels?
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sure can. Just crank the gain. If you're looking for fuzz, look elsewhere, but it does a very nice mild-medium grind.
  3. gimp

gimp Supporting Member

Mild-medium grind is good by me. I have a fuzz and compression pedal IF I need them. I'm just looking for something "gritty."
  4. gimp

gimp Supporting Member

Jimmy - how would you rate the durability of the PF350? I see threads here and there of problems with at least the 500.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Had mine for a year and a half with no problems whatsoever. Can't tell you about everyone else's but mine's been great.
  6. johnpbass

johnpbass

Mine has been solid as well. Great amp IMO - great warm Ampeg tone, simple effective EQ, plenty of power for small to meduim sized gigs.